Michael Fortune #1 Chair Build

pkinneb

On 1/16/2022 at 6:08 PM, wtnhighlander said:

Fine, dry grounds mixed in clear epoxy will turn that little divit into a very convincing 'bark inclusion'. I just mix in the grounds until the epoxy has an almost dough-like consistency.

So let them dry out first? just in a filter thing? I don't drink coffee so not positive how that works.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2022 at 8:20 PM, wtnhighlander said:

I don't drink coffee either. I snagged a big filter full from work, and let them dry well before mixing into epoxy. I suspect using wet grounds would go cloudy or something.

And probably keep you awake at night.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, pkinneb said:

So let them dry out first? just in a filter thing? I don't drink coffee so not positive how that works.

Yes, like Ross said.  I'm told you van also use new dry grounds.  

Paul if you have a spare bit of the wood, drill a hole and fill it with the mix.  When it cures sand it smooth and see for yourself.  The grounds won't sand as smooth as the epoxy, but that's a bigger issue for me than it may be for you.

Some other caveats (which you may already knowl:

If you need a dam to hold the epoxy in place, I used hot melt glue.  I've seen people use various tapes, too.  

You probably want an epoxy pour that fills the cavity, so air bubbles don't show.  A less viscous mix might be better, but if you drill a couple of test holes you can try different viscosities.  To get rid of air bubbles you can use a hair dryer, or judicious application of a heat gun.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2022 at 11:58 AM, Chet said:

That is some pretty small intricate inlay.  I'll be honest, I don't have the patience required to approach something like that.

Not sure I do either especially with everything I have already put into it. Trying to get a hold of Michael with a couple of questions and then will make a decision. In the meantime I am working on a L fence attachment for my TS as well as the templates for the Morley bar stool.

Hum interesting i recently read that article from Mr. Boggs and he mentioned bark powder tea to get an even result. I was thinking of this for a future project myself. (I didn't watch the video but read an article https://www.popularwoodworking.com/finishing/ebonizing_wood/)

The bark powder isn't expensive I thought about grabbing some. https://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/BKT2-P3850.aspx#:~:text=This Bark Tan %26 Dye (Quebracho,natural leather dye like Quebracho. I feel like 2 lbs is a lot I'd split it with ya if you were interested Paul.