Sideboard like stand for 75 gallons (900 lbs) aquarium, will it hold the weight?

Christoph

Hi all, 

I am working on a stand for a 75-gallons aquarium. Filled and with all the attachments, a 75-gallons aquarium can weigh up to 900 lbs. Significantly more weight than our furniture has to support under normal circumstances. 
When my wife came up with the idea to upsize the aquarium to 75 gallons, I checked out the usual places for an appropriate stand.  What I found was not convincing to me, even though I know that many people use these commercially available stands to put their big aquariums on. A search for DIY stands found many examples made out of rough 2x4s held together by glue and wood screws. While they seem to serve the purpose well, their appearance was not what I envisioned for the corner of our living room where the aquarium will be located. 

I thought about a basic structure out or 2x2s (actual measurement) to safely carry the weight. By looking at the commercially available stands and without being an engineer, I assumed that a structure like that should carry the weight without problems. One 2x4 can vertically support a lot of weight. If I understand all these tables correctly, the weight can be more than 1000 lbs. Hence I assume that four 2x2 can support at least that amount of weight.

Not entirely sure how to make the joints, likely glue, and probably dowels, but I could also use a Festool Domino jointer. 
I thought of some kind of castle joints or the like for the top corners. 

Unfortunately, I am getting second thoughts now. Can a structure like that really support 900 Lbs? 

Here is what I have in mind as a basic structure—just the structure without the top, doors, and the like. 

Appreciate all thoughts

Thanks

Christoph

Fish tank basic structure.JPG

So a piece of wood stood on end where you are loading into the end grain can support a lot of weight. I'd say the design you have drawn up could easily support an aquarium.

In a standard leg and apron configuration, like a table. The top sits on the leg and a good portion of the weight is supported directly by the leg. Some weight is supported by the apron but it isn't even close to the full weight. So while I'd make sure to make secure apron joints don't assume that they need to be something extraordinary. Also keep in mind that the weight of an aquarium is evenly distributed. If you have 1,000 supported by 8 legs and 16 joints, that's 125 lbs per leg. The apron joint will only support a fraction of the weight that is directed at the leg so even if it's 50% of the weight directed at the 16 joints that's only a bit more than 30 lbs but it's likely less. That's really not that much weight in the grand scheme of things. Me leaning back on the rear 2 chair legs is straining joinery FAR more.

If it were me, I'd make this a frame and panel design with the 8 legs like you have outlined. I think your design is really good. I would just do a floating M&T (domino) to connect the aprons to the legs. I'm assuming your doing doors for the 3 openings. For the panels I'd do plywood and would glue it into a rabbet that is cut into the legs and aprons. This will make a VERY stiff VERY strong system. The plywood would also support the apron and will direct even more force from the apron into the leg. The Sideboard i built is somewhat similar and I wouldn't hesitate to put a 1,000lb aquarium on top of it. Page 2 shows a bit on how i made the rear of the sideboard with plywood in a rabbet, this is how I'd handle your construction.

• Like 2

That's some complicated joinery. It should get the job done. Make sure to glue it though.

The apron stock isn't very tall so I do advise using a plywood panel where you don't have doors. 2" thick material will not offer much for support.

For the top If you are goign to frame it and cover it with melamine, you could always stack multiple sheets of BB ply glueing each layer together and nail. 1.5" was my gut recommendation for thickness for both aesthetics and strength.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The frame looks good! As for the panels, I see no need to use glue AND screws. Its just my opinion, but I might use screws only, on a couple of them, in case you ever need access to areas inside that are difficuly to reach through the doors. I understand large aquariums typically house the pumps & filters in the support cabinet. Easy access to the plumbing might be handy.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Hi all, 

Thanks for the positive comments. 

To the paint. 

I did not use a clear coat. I would have,  but after I bought the paint, I found out that a clear coat is not recommended over "snow white" because the clear coat can get some amber tone over time. Snow white is the only Milk Paint color where a clear coat should not be used. 

• Thanks 1