Maloof style lounge chair

MikeW

Okay, great.  I’ll post here and then move it later if that seems reasonable.  It has been over 10 years since I finished my Maloof rocker after attending a 1 week session at the Marc Adams school.  That school assisted getting the basic form connected with all the joints, but I had another 100 hours in sculpting to complete at home.  Here’s a few more to get you up to speed.

I created all of the templates out of 1/2 ply and then I could start on the final shapes after I roughed them out on the bandsaw.

1A1F9F5A-308A-46F1-824C-E4B17FB16222.jpeg

• Like 2

You are correct, this is the part of the build that can be so rewarding- sculpting the shape, the lines, the contours, it's always the most rewarding part of the build. 

Your design looks very good and I love that you are old school like me with the graph paper. I think this chair will sit really well. You've got a bigger drop from the front of the seat to the back of the seat than I did, I tried to lessen that drop and in the end I think I lessened it too much. I actually went back after the fact and cut 1.5" off my back legs on my finished car to increase the drop. It helped with the comfort of the seat. 

Keep up the good work!

Maloof always said a screw is nothing more than a metal dowel or tenon and he believed it was better than a wood dowel or tenon. He did get some grief at the time by other woodworkers who were more "purists", but he nevertheless felt comfortable including screws in his work. 

As for the Maloof joint itself, if done well it's a very stable joint, but the screw does help reinforce it, esp when dealing with chairs that receive a lot of force. I'm sure a loose tenon or dowel would work for the joint, but the screw is very fast and easy here, and Maloof believed it was the strongest option. I for one won't argue with him. 

• Like 1