Maloof style lounge chair

MikeW

Not happy with the way my arms came out.  Ugh!  I screwed up plain and simple.  I will need to redo both of these and not happy since I have so many hours into the originals.  The rails coming off the back rest did not flow into the arms.  Not sure why I fashioned the back half of the arms the way I did.  I have another piece where I thought I could get another two arms, but one section has a really big void, so I don’t know if it will work.  I would need to fill with black epoxy which I don’t currently have.  It might be some time before I can post another update as I might have to get more walnut and this board was thicker than 8/4”, so it might be a special order.  Frustrating….that was a dumb and expensive mistake on my part.

• Sad 4

I think the chair looks great! Just a suggestion. I was YouTubing a couple of nights ago and found a site where a guy was making an expensive fireplace mantel for a good customer from a huge chunk of walnut. He had to do some epoxy fills in a couple of places and when complete, he still had two minute voids or air bubble holes in the epoxy. They were so small that he used a syringe to fill them. Having said that, I would do the same to your epoxy treatment. JMO. 

• Like 1

On 1/1/2022 at 8:16 AM, Chestnut said:

Wow this has progressed quickly! Awesome work, i'm excited to see it with cushions and finish.

Thanks.  This might take a while as I am struggling to find an upholsterer.  I actually had a guy hang up on me this morning mid conversation because I had contacted him 2nd.  The first company responded right away, but now has gone silent.  Ugh!  This world and people in general continue to surprise me.  

5 hours ago, MikeW said:

Thanks.  This might take a while as I am struggling to find an upholsterer.  I actually had a guy hang up on me this morning mid conversation because I had contacted him 2nd.  The first company responded right away, but now has gone silent.  Ugh!  This world and people in general continue to surprise me.  

Every one that I talk to is my first choice and they were recommend to me by one of my friends, I think it was Mike or maybe Kevin ....   Some times an in person meeting and making sure to get across that your flexible can go a long way.

When your busy hearing that someone has reach out to multiple people makes it a lot easier to turn down the work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...