Murphy Door

h3nry

On 12/29/2021 at 8:03 AM, wtnhighlander said:

I don't know what was included in your hinge kit, but if the floor is flat and level, I would incorporate a wheel under the side opposite the hinges, to help support the weight of the swinging case, especially if it is used often.

Eventually the wheel would leave a "track mark" on the floor, working against the desire for a "secret" door. I think it would be better to diagonally brace the back of the door/bookcase, possibly with strong metalwork, to make it very rigid and prevent it drooping over time. A bookcase can be a lot of weight so strong bracing and substantial himges would be needed.

5 hours ago, Wood Basher said:

A bookcase can be a lot of weight

That was my thought.  If you're not yet committed to a plan or room design a framed full length mirror could hide the closet opening while being a fixed weight.  Added bonus is nothing falls over when you open a mirror.  Just an unsolicited suggestion; feel free to ignore it.

I don’t know what the white vertical thing is in your last pic is but it reminds me of the water gauges located at a lot of low water underpasses here in Houston. Perhaps you use it to tell you when you have removed enough shavings? :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Your door is looking darn good!

Last February it got down to 12*F in Houston and half of Texas lost power. Most of us would have froze to death had it gotten to -25C. I’m in my shop now, barefoot with a tee shirt and shorts and a cold beer! ( no machines going). 

30 minutes ago, Coop said:

Your door is looking darn good!

Last February it got down to 12*F in Houston and half of Texas lost power. Most of us would have froze to death had it gotten to -25C. I’m in my shop now, barefoot with a tee shirt and shorts and a cold beer! ( no machines going). 

Keep rubbing it in Coop and I’ll come down there with my tent, high temp of 9 today with windchill of minus 20 and it’s only going to get worse, I check the temp in Houston every day and can’t wait for spring to come here

• Thanks 1