White oak table

treeslayer

On 2/9/2022 at 12:07 PM, treeslayer said:

Thanks Coop, just don’t look too close, I can’t remember the last time I did those, not displeased but I can do better

I bet if there are any slight gaps, by the time you get it out of the freezer and into your house, they will tighten up like 10 years of ear wax. 

• Haha 1

On 2/9/2022 at 10:07 AM, treeslayer said:

Thanks Coop, just don’t look too close, I can’t remember the last time I did those, not displeased but I can do better

You are the only one that looks too close.  Everyone else will just say, Wow, cool table where did you buy it. ;)

Dave, and I ask, only as I have read the article. Pekovich’s table has a  full length spline jointing his two table top boards. 

1) Did you cut slots/grooves the full length of your three boards or

2) Slots only on the ends for faux splines and edge glued the rest of the lengths together?

I suspect the latter as you said the pegs are false and their only purpose was aesthetic.

4 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Nice! I think the plugs along the 'racing stripe', and the cord-wrapped end rails are cool design elements. And that grain IS gorgeous!

Thanks Ross, I’m getting better with applying dye it really makes the grain pop, I’d like to hear if anyone has sprayed shellac with dye, I’d like to try that

56 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Very nice, Dave.  And you moved through that project pretty fast.

Well truth be told Mark I had a running start at it, I take pictures with my phone and then send them to my desktop to be resized and then posted , also I had a huge order for 70 cutting boards come in and had to squeeze them in the middle of the table build, I guess the actual build time was 30 hours more or less 

• Like 1

Very nice! I enjoy the curly, the qswo, the walnut accents, the excellent finish. Just the right amount of curly. It needs to be accentuated like you have done. Too much can be gaudy. I am sure if I saw it in person the table would hold my attention. I could not just walk past it... Thanks for sharing!

• Thanks 1

Beautiful table! I really like the little details. How you joined the top with the tongue and groove even adds some visual interest to the ends of the top. I like that!

On 2/12/2022 at 12:45 PM, treeslayer said:

I’d like to hear if anyone has sprayed shellac with dye, I’d like to try that

Yes I've sprayed shellac with dye once. It was essentially the same as spraying shellac but with some small added risk. If you sprayed a bit heavy in 1 spot it was more noticeable with the dye in the shellac. Was there dye applied to this table? It looks darker than what I'd expect from just ARS on white oak.

1 minute ago, Chestnut said:

Beautiful table! I really like the little details. How you joined the top with the tongue and groove even adds some visual interest to the ends of the top. I like that!

Yes I've sprayed shellac with dye once. It was essentially the same as spraying shellac but with some small added risk. If you sprayed a bit heavy in 1 spot it was more noticeable with the dye in the shellac. Was there dye applied to this table? It looks darker than what I'd expect from just ARS on white oak.

Yeah Drew there was, trans-tint, I think it was classic maple, foam brush everywhere but the top that was a small rag, large flat surfaces are a bit nerve wracking with dye for me at least just looking for something easier and thanks for the compliment 

• Like 1