cleanest oil change ever

Tom King

That valve is a slick addition, Tom!

Last time I tried to change oil in my truck, I found the drain plug siezed beyond my ability to remove without damaging something (probably me). So I did the "messiest oil change ever", snd just turned the engine over a few times with the oil filter removed. A jug of cat litter cleaned the garage floor, and a new filter + fresh oil got me back on the road. Next change will be at the dealer!

:ph34r:

I love Subaru's oil filter location it's probably the best I've experienced. 2nd is my Jeep, it's in a similar spot but instead of being a metal can filter it's a cartridge filter and makes a tiny bit more of a mess.

One of these days I'll install a Fumoto valve on the jeep but i still take it to the dealer for oil changes when it's too cold for me to get underneath a vehicle. I'm not sure what the service techs would think at the dealer. They'd probably be too confused to change the oil and I'd pay for them to just do nothing.

@JohnGI bet LOL

I had my first oil change on my truck while waiting in the lounge I watched a new RAM slip off the lift brackets and drop onto the arm. Its the first time I have ever considered doing oil changes myself :o

Two days later the same dealer changed tires on my daughters Jeep only to have her call me stating the SUV was shaking bad at speed. After having her check the lug nuts she went back and found out they forgot to balance them... 

Needless to say I will not have any further work done at this dealership

• Sad 2

We're a half hour from a town that has oil change places, one way.  That doesn't include whatever time it takes there.  That 5 quart jug of synthetic cost a little over $20, and I don't remember what the filter cost, but it's a good one.  I put whatever I'm changing the oil in inside the shop, and let it drain overnight.  The next day, plug it up, put the filter in, and fill it up.  I'm sure total time is not much more than 10 minutes.  We also have a couple of tractors to change oil in, and three mowers, and other small equipment, so the cars are the easy ones, although my truck is not much more trouble other than it takes 2-1/2 gallons of oil.

I don't think the dually would fit in those oil change places anyway.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Tom King said:

I don't think the dually would fit in those oil change places anyway.

I also change my own, so don’t hear any argument in this. I just find this a funny statement to read. All the oil change places here are pits. Full coach busses would fit through the doors. Wide load tractors might not. 

9 hours ago, Coop said:

I used to send my company vehicles to a national account oil change place until I found out that they pump the oil out thru the fill tube instead of draining the sludge out. 

That's pretty common for boats. Ever try and drop the drain plug on a 4.3l chevy when the drain plug is an inch away from the hull? It's not fun.

I agree with you though that isn't how i would want my oil changed.

On 5/4/2022 at 10:37 PM, Coop said:

I used to send my company vehicles to a national account oil change place until I found out that they pump the oil out thru the fill tube instead of draining the sludge out. 

I’ve heard this criticism but I’ve also heard the argument that there shouldn’t be any sludge if you use good oil and proper interval changes. Haven’t seen (or looked for) data to support one or the other though. 

When I leave anything draining overnight, there is still something dripping out of the drain hole the next morning.  

The Father of a college roommate used to put kerosene in an engine after draining the oil, and run it for a few seconds before draining that out.  He said it was always pretty dirty, but I was never convinced that was good for engine longevity.

• Like 1