Blue Tape Residue

Coop

I have been working on a project way too long and in doing so, I noted orientation and other info on Scotch blue tape, on the bare wood pieces. After removing the tape, there is a shadow line image. Google suggests rubbing alcohol, but to no avail. Mineral spirits didn’t work either. Tomorrow I will try WD-40, followed by ms. Packing tape or masking tape, I could imagine. Anyone experienced this and have a resolve? 

No to WD40 as it can take forever to evaporate out of the wood and can leave oily residue. Naptha, lacquer thinner, Goof-off, paint thinner, or acetone will remove the adhesive. I prefer naptha because it dissolves it quickly and isn't as noxious as laquer thinner or acetone.

• Like 1

Here is a spot that I haven’t used anything on and you can feel the tacky.

560B23E0-28C5-4A19-966A-8EEE1423A2D7.thumb.jpeg.72452b6988b079d57950b56bb32c9166.jpeg
And this is one that I used rubbing alcohol and ms on. No stickiness but you can still see it. I don’t have naphtha as suggested but will clean all with acetone or something besides WD40 (thanks) and then sand. 
D574020D-7BB6-4216-9988-58F6246FB343.thumb.jpeg.6312f4f46e32d11246f5dbc0120476ad.jpeg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, BillyJack said:

If just sand it.

The tricky thing about trying to sand off residue that is a sticky or fluid substance is that it will often be driven into the wood fibers and can actually require the removal of quite a bit of material before the unwanted residue is all gown.

• Like 2

Like Frank, I am a naphtha user.  I have a can or two of Ronson cigarette lighter fluid that I just keep refilling from a larger can of Klean Strip VM&P Naphtha.  I have no idea if lighter fluid is still naphtha.  I've been refilling the old metal Ronson cans so long anything could have happened in the meantime.  Naphtha will dissolve a great many sticky or leftover materials.  Turning the paper towel (or whatever you are using) frequently to a clean area works best as the naphtha is only softening the goo.  Turning the towel to a clean surface again and again is what actually gets the stuff gone.  I have never had a finishing issue after using naphtha; usually available at your local paint or hardware store (even in California).

• Like 1