Popular Post Tom King Posted July 27, 2022 Popular Post Report Share Posted July 27, 2022 This is a continuation for the posts I started about this job in "What did you do today" thread. It turned into more of a job than I thought it would be, so I'm just putting it in its own thread. I had expected I could pound the posts back down into postion, but the end two pairs wouldn't move much. I had used the tractor auger when they dropped the lake level in 1986 to do some dam repairs. Ice had lifted all the posts, and the end ones the most. I expect waves got under the ice on the end and lifted them more than the ones close to shore. I think I couldn't pound those end posts because they were leaning enough for the bottoms to be hitting the sides of the 8" holes. I would have packed the dirt around the posts, but with the subsoil here, you can never pack it by hand as hard as it is normally, and even underwater it takes much more than a 20 lb. hammer to drive posts. Today, I pulled a line to see if I could align the outer two sections by the first section. The amount I would have to space out the end post was over the thickness of the posts, so I took up the decking I'd put down on the first section, and moved the outer end of the first section over 1-1/2". You can see how far out the line is in the picture with the scaffold plank. That's why I'm moving the first section over to the left. While I was moving it anyway, I dropped the end down to level. I was at first thinking we would have to take this dock up when we built the Big One on the other side of the point out on the end. You are only allowed to have one dock per "lot". I figured out if I change the property line on the "lot" for the rental house to take in this dock, there is still way more than mimimum land left for the point "lot" to be allowed to build another dock. After thinking about that, I decided to put more time into getting this one nice and straight and level. It will be nice to have one near the beach. I'm not to the point of needing the canoe yet. Today I used a 12" x 24' one man scaffold plank to be able to get out to the end to "pull a line". I screwed a short board across the end, and used a masonry line block to hold that end of the line so I could move it to get it aligned like I want it. I'm using gauge blocks. It took me at least 12 trips back and forth by myself, whereas it would have been quick and easy with a helper. This is a pretty common method for building straight stuff. The lens was fogged up when I took the pic of the line block, but it was already a balancing act on the end of that plank, so I didn't fight it for long. The picture with the scaffold plank in it was before I had moved the first section over to the left. The last picture in this post shows the left band moved to the left 1-1/2" on that end, and dropped down to level. The next working day on it, I'll move the right first section band over (I'll have to cut 1-1/2" out of that post), and move the end of the line over to judge straight off of the newly set first section. The masonry line block allows you to slide it where you want it. The tension in the line holds it in place. The next day I can work on it, I'll do what cutting I need to of the post on the right, and reset the line to take measurements for the tapered pieces I need to make for the right side posts on the end section. I had some dry pieces of treated beams to cut them out of. I'll use the big bandsaw, and post pictures. I also ordered dock bumpers and edging. So hopefully I won't have many more days in this job. I'm only able to work for a couple of hours a day at best. Edits were mostly just to correct grammar. Spax lag screws came, so all these crooked 30d nails will go in deep water. edited later to add a picture of what we started with from the other thread. It's the last picture in this post. 5 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.