Dock redo

Tom King

That plank just weighs 78 pounds.  Pam helped me get it in the back of the truck from off the wall where it was hanging.  I just backed towards the dock, and slid it out.  Once I had it on the ground, the center is marked, so it wasn't that bad my myself.  I have some larger ones that are about like standing on a sidewalk, but also like moving a sidewalk.  I need loader forks for those.

Pulling the nails wasn't so bad.  I wore waders and mostly used a slide hammer nail puller, and 3' long wrecking bar.  Some that I couldn't get a clear path to with the slide hammer were pulled with a cat's paw nail puller.  There were only a couple, near the bottom of the cross piece that were a little aggravating to get to.  Not really hard, but took some time.  I screwed short pieces of 2x4 below the bands to catch them, set a level on top with a screw started, picked the end up to level, and ran the screw in.  

There's always a way to do it, but takes multiple times longer by yourself.

Here's what a slide hammer nail puller is.  They're easier to use than it may look like.

https://www.amazon.com/Crescent-56-Home-Tools-Pullers/dp/B00002N7SD/ref=asc_df_B00002N7SD/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309811990469&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4349504036421433138&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9008615&hvtargid=pla-523770244270&psc=1

• Like 2

Here's the first video I found of how a slide hammer nail puller works.  This guys lack of co-ordination freaks me out a little bit, but you can see how it works.  I get the teeth of the jaws much closer to the nail head.  You can pull anything from a small finish nail, to a very large framing nail with them.

• Like 2

On 7/28/2022 at 7:20 AM, Tom King said:

Here's the first video I found of how a slide hammer nail puller works.  This guys lack of co-ordination freaks me out a little bit, but you can see how it works.  I get the teeth of the jaws much closer to the nail head.  You can pull anything from a small finish nail, to a very large framing nail with them.

My dad had one of those and even as a little kid I could pull out the toughest nails. And I don't feel bad saying that I was way better at it than the guy in the video. He shoulda had that nail out in about 4 seconds. I wonder why they are so rarely seen anymore.

A light spritz of WD40 on the slide shaft helps the sliding work smoother.

I think he must have been thinking about what he was going to say, and was distracted from what he was doing. 

Most people probably think they're hard to use, or dangerous.  I'm always holding the business end down close to the jaws, so have never slammed my holding hand in the pinching position.

I had to push my weight against it with the slide all the way out to start those 30d nails out, but it didn't slip on a single one.  I just pulled them out enough so I could get a wrecking bar under them.

Cats Paws come in a bunch of different sizes too.  There would be no good reason to use a big one, like he showed early in the video, on a finish nail.

My "Pulling" toolbox weighs well over 50 pounds.  It's one of the 28" ones with wheels, and a pull out handle.  It's one of the heavy boxes that stay on the floor level of my toolbox cubbies so I can just roll it out.  I built those cubbies with just a 1/4" plywood on the bottom, so the wheels roll easily in and out.

These used to be 35 bucks in Home Depot.  I'm not sure what they are today.  Home Depot is the only place I've seen them with the wheels and handle.  This Amazon link doesn't show it with the waterproof seal, but they do have it.   https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-28-Tool-Box/dp/B01FQLX8IS/ref=sr_1_1?gclid=Cj0KCQjwio6XBhCMARIsAC0u9aFPZQat1v8neKJhNnA4kwJg25BnWfZjB3jLbzB5JE876VdZkp-9gV8aAsDFEALw_wcB&hvadid=494006222528&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9009793&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=15850557533600051747&hvtargid=kwd-328859518508&hydadcr=28789_10167636&keywords=dewalt+dwst28100&qid=1659105602&sr=8-1

Pam has had to carry dogs to the Vet's for Rabies shots yesterday, and today, so I haven't been able to work on the dock for a couple of days.  I have to stay here with my 106 year old Mother.

I've decided to build a pile driver, and put in a few more posts.  Stay tuned.  I'll still get the frame built, and straightened up on the existing posts so I know where exactly to put more posts, but since we've decided to keep this dock, I want to build it so it will last.  I don't trust those end four posts to stay like they are long term.

Busy with family stuff that will delay the job for several days.

Years ago, when the county put in a water system, the contractor came by and asked if I wanted the leftover pipe and had anywhere to put it.  I did.  There is a big pile of it.  I'm thinking about filling a 4 foot length of 8" PVC pipe with concrete, which should weigh about 220 pounds, build a wooden frame that I can take apart to move for guiding it, to drop it up to 8' onto a post.  I'll pull it up with the tractor, and cut the end of the rope to drop it, sacrificing a bit of rope for each drop.  I found similar on youtube, but none quite this big.

I ordered an 8" diameter 1" thick steel disk for the bottom, to weld stuff to for reinforcement, and a loop at the top.

Might be a "hold my beer, and watch this" moment, but with no one on the dock, it won't break anything I can't fix.

I asked one of the dock builders if they were coming by this way how much to drive 4 posts, and he said a grand if I bought the posts.  This will be more fun anyway.

• Like 2

Cloudy with a high of 89 today, so it looks like the perfect day to get back to work on this dock.

I'm still waiting on an 8" diameter steel 1" thick plate for the bottom of the pile driver weight to get here, so motivation to keep going in high 90's waned.  I'm planning on a 4' long concrete and steel filled piece of 8" PVC pipe for the drop weight.  I thought I had a piece of 10" pipe, but didn't.  Target weight is 250 pounds, and the four foot length will make it easier to roll on and off the dock to get it into position.

All the dock bumpers came, so that will help me figure out how to cut the wedge shaped spacers for the right side.

My BIL is here to help for a few days.  He was getting bored with nothing to do at home, and wanted a job to do.  It will be good having some help.

• Like 2

Looking good! I'm not used to permanent docks.

When my grandparents had a lake house in Clarksville, VA it was a floating dock and same with my in-laws place at Deep Creek, MD. One of the first years my grandparents lived in Clarksville the water was up so high the dock had to pulled all the way back to the trees and we walked on 2 extension ladders to get out to the dock ramp. My dad fell in and lost his glasses. They turned up about 7 years later.

This lake only varies by one foot.  Kerr Lake varies a Lot.  I've put in at the marina in Clarksville, racing a sailboat years ago,  when the floating dock access ramp was laying on the ground.  The area we raced on the lake wasn't very wide then either.  That was the only time I pulled a boat there.

• Like 1

We made a lot of progress this morning (Saturday), but I was soaking wet and didn't want to handle my phone, so no pictures yet.

We have the next to the last section completed, including screwing down the decking boards.  I just have the end of the last band on the right to pull all the nails out of, and reset with some chainsaw whittling on the one last post.  I can leave the end band to hold the scaffold plank for that step.

I had to stop to do some welding for a friend of mine, but the Sun was out a little before 11, so was a good time to quit for the day anyway.

Probably all we'll do tomorrow is get that one band set.  I need to get some more materials.  The first trip, I just picked up all I could get under the toolbox on my truck.  It won't take anything like as much to finish.  The last two sections' middle joists needed replacing, and I only bought one, but we used that one on the section we did today.

I'll wait until Monday to go to a real building supply.  I hate digging treated boards out of the racks at box stores, and will lose a day rather than do it.  I can back my truck up to the stacks at my building supplier, and pick through the stacks pretty easily to get all good boards.

• Like 1