A very simple coat rack

wtnhighlander

I think I saw a trick for rust proofing metal (now remember I have the attention span of a gold fish) they heated the metal with a torch and used a rag soaked in BLO it turned the metal black and acted as a rust sealer. Now as I write this I think it was on an episode of The Wood wrights Shop.

• Like 2

On 2/14/2023 at 8:12 AM, Dave H said:

I think I saw a trick for rust proofing metal (now remember I have the attention span of a gold fish) they heated the metal with a torch and used a rag soaked in BLO it turned the metal black and acted as a rust sealer. Now as I write this I think it was on an episode of The Wood wrights Shop.

Sounds like a traditional oil-rubbed finish. Essentially the same process as seasoning a cast-iron pan, though with a drying oil rather than a cooking oil.

On 2/14/2023 at 5:34 AM, Mark J said:

I don't know what bluing is, but it seems to me it's possible to put a coat of varnish or lacquer on metal.

Blueing is a black oxide finish (as opposed to red oxide aka rust) that can be done a few ways, but the simplest is a brush on liquid chemical. Traditionally oiled as well to protect against further corrosion.

• Like 2

In this week's episode of 'A Very Simple Coat Rack', our hero finds most of his shop time eaten up making roof repairs after a storm:

IMG_20230304_111812190_HDR.thumb.jpg.a57ca28e95d65fde52bceae52495544b.jpg

However, a final few moments were set aside for work on the actual project. Not enough to finish, though.I only made it through the excavation of a housing groove to accept a cleat.

IMG_20230305_172044467.thumb.jpg.f220375a5ba2ff3ed2ff47c03dc78328.jpg

I'm starting to second-guess now. Dovetail router bits don't make for a very steep angle on a cleat, so if my 'clever' locking mechanism doesn't work out, the whole cleat idea will probably fall through. :(

IMG_20230305_170512605.jpg

• Like 2

Good thing the shingles you lost were just at the top. It's a much larger pita when they are out of the middle of the bottom.

Have you tried the 12 degree dovetail angle that is more common for softwoods? Not sure if that would make it any better than the 7 or 8 degree for hardwoods.

• Like 2

Thanks, Coop! I'm sure I formed the idea from something I've seen, but I can't recall a specific furniture piece with this arrangemen. To me, it most resembles the DIN rail system used to mount industrial automation gear inside electrical panels. In fact, a cleat based on DIN rail would be an excellent solution.

• Thanks 1