Test For Attaching Pics...Milled Lumber

roughsawn

That's interesting because I'm not far from you but I'll get my 2.5" material to outdoor EMC in about 13-14 months. Outdoor EMC in msp is around 12% I've had material outside for 3-4 years and it'll never get below that. It's usually only a month or so in my shop for it to reach EMC for my house though.

Wood does dry during the winter albit much more slowly about half the rate of summer. Water sublimates in the winter turning directly from ice into water vapor. In the paper I linked there is a chart that covers freezing temperatures. I don't think the link worked (https://www.fpl.fs.usda.gov/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr121.pdf) this one is better.

Another interesting tidbit is if you look at table 2 you can see the average temperatures and relative humidity for Madison WI not far from MN. The average RH is relatively constant for this region. The only reason winter seems dry is because we heat out houses. RH is an equation that uses the difference in temperature between a wet bulb and dry bulb. It can also be calculated from the dew point and temperature.

The reason i note that is because if the temp at 3pm July 15th is 98 and the RH is 37% at 5am when the temp is 72 the RH is closer to 88%. Any moisture lost during the heat of the day is replaced at night. This is why the average temp and RH need to be used.

• Like 1