Oak Slab Bench Build

On 8/6/2023 at 5:52 AM, curlyoak said:

The wood is curly oak. Using hand planes on that is a very tough job. Every 1/2" it changes to going with the grain then against. Vulnerable to chip out. Keep the edge sharp and sharpen often. The good news is curly polished and finished is beautiful.

Well you should know! ;)

I was pleasantly surprised with the amount of figure once i got the silver patina off. It's pretty curly. 

Yes, very sharp gets me through the tear out. Some areas I had to start with a scrub plane but for the most part, if the blade is freshly honed it is going well. I've been at the sharpening station often because this stuff will dull an iron very quickly. 

The thing that's giving me the most trouble is a gnarly knot that runs through to both faces. I've got it pretty well tamed on one face but it was not easy. 

Going to start on beam #2 later today. It should go a little faster the 2nd time around. 

@BillyJack the beam shown above is the same one that appeared so twisted in an earlier picture. I think it was sitting on a shim in that earlier pic -making it appear more twisted than it actually was. It's pretty flat now. 

• Like 1

On 8/6/2023 at 6:33 AM, Tom King said:

The other option is to find someone to run them through a wide belt sander.  It's going to be awesome though however it is processed.

I've got a 16/32 drum sander, though i haven't put one these through it yet. 

I tried to get it through my planer (DeWalt DW735) and while the machine did run it through, these are so big and heavy that they're pretty taxing on the smaller machines. 

Here's the knot i was talking about. It's now flat but it was difficult. 

I'm planning to fill these cracks with a 2 part epoxy. This isn't something I've done before. I also haven't really done much reading up on it yet. 

So maybe I'm premature inn asking but if anyone has advice or pointers for that process, i would love to hear them. Thank you too all. 

IMG_20230806_104851220.jpg

• Like 2

On 8/6/2023 at 10:51 AM, D W C said:

Here's the knot i was talking about. It's now flat but it was difficult. 

I'm planning to fill these cracks with a 2 part epoxy. This isn't something I've done before. I also haven't really done much reading up on it yet. 

So maybe I'm premature inn asking but if anyone has advice or pointers for that process, i would love to hear them. Thank you too all. 

IMG_20230806_104851220.jpg

Tape up the bottom and edges then mix your epoxy according to the instructions but to the extent you can you will want a thin mix so it goes all the way in / through. I would use a little TransTint in it as well, probably black. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/6/2023 at 2:35 PM, D W C said:

@pkinneb Thanks! Can to explain this further as to why to do this? 

So if you have cracks and they go all the way through (and you haven't taped the bottom side) you will find your slab epoxied to whatever its sitting on :o

• Like 1

On 8/6/2023 at 3:20 PM, BillyJack said:

Are you going  to stabilize the cracks before you put a finish on it?

Not sure? I usually just use Danish Oil on my benches. Off the top, i would think that i should fill the cracks, let it dry and then prep the surface for finishing by planing and sanding and then apply finish as usual. 

• Like 2

When you get to that point, I suggest an epoxy with a longer setup time.  I'd avoid 5 min epoxy.  Also while the epoxy might travel through the cracks to the other side of the board, it might not,  so you may choose to flip the board and do a second pour.  

On 8/6/2023 at 6:48 PM, D W C said:

Not sure? I usually just use Danish Oil on my benches. Off the top, i would think that i should fill the cracks, let it dry and then prep the surface for finishing by planing and sanding and then apply finish as usual. 

You need to stabilize cracks unless you want future problems..

I can’t tell how back the  cracks are, but you need to take a syringe with glue and get as much as you can in those cracks..

In furniture, we will eliminate the cracks or stabilize..

• Thanks 1

On 8/7/2023 at 9:07 AM, BillyJack said:

You need to stabilize cracks unless you want future problems..

I can’t tell how back the  cracks are, but you need to take a syringe with glue and get as much as you can in those cracks..

In furniture, we will eliminate the cracks or stabilize..

Thanks @BillyJack. Appreciate the advice. I assume you mean CA glue right? If i can fill the cracks completely with that then i don't need epoxy correct?