Epoch Wood Sandpaper

Chet

I wish Marc well.

An interesting product, but kinda under represented by the web site.  Like Coop, I couldn't find the size.  Made in the USA is a plus, but it does raise the question, are the grits FEPA scale (or CAMI)?  

I might give it a try, but by the time I got most of the grits it would be way over $100.  Needs a trial pack assortment. 

• Like 1

On 7/27/2023 at 6:57 PM, Coop said:

I checked their site and it doesn’t mention the size. Can shine some light please? 

Its 2 3/4" X  4 1/2".

On 7/28/2023 at 6:52 AM, Von said:

@Chet - I've seen Marc asking for feedback on FB. Some good observations here. You going to share them back to him?

Hey Von, I am not on Facebook but I am going to drop a note to him to suggest a review page on his website.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, BillyJack said:

Where will this paper  help you?

Something I’m unfamiliar with..

I think this is geared toward hand sanding with blocks. This gets more usefulness out of less paper, and uses the grit to anchor to the block, rather than adhesive. 

The Epoch might be more flexible than any permutation of doubling up another sandpaper.   Dunno, I'd have to try some.

Where I think Epoch could be useful to me is in hand sanding my small sculptural pieces.  It wouldn't to get a replacement piece as often and they are pre-cut, so no more tearing. 

Not sure I would enjoy holding on to the grit coated surface.  I frequenly use 3" hook & loop because the loop surface is more pleasant for long sessions. 

On 7/30/2023 at 11:12 AM, Mark J said:

The Epoch might be more flexible than any permutation of doubling up another sandpaper.   Dunno, I'd have to try some.

Where I think Epoch could be useful to me is in hand sanding my small sculptural pieces.  It wouldn't to get a replacement piece as often and they are pre-cut, so no more tearing. 

Not sure I would enjoy holding on to the grit coated surface.  I frequenly use 3" hook & loop because the loop surface is more pleasant for long sessions. 

I have absolutely nothing against a product or helping a company stay afloat in the woodworking world. I tried to buy “Bowclamps”, everyone said that’s silly, just make your own. Now it’s gone. I often hear, Remember  when..

• Like 1

I bought a couple of packages to try out (180 and 320G). My first impression was it's a bit on the small side, but I admit it fits nicely into pockets of my apron. It has a nice stiffness to it.

I did try the 320 for some between coat sanding and it worked OK. It's on the cusp of being too small for hand sanding with my bigger hands though it's nice in that it doesn't slip.

Right now I think my main use will be to keep it in my apron for those occasional quick sanding needs that come up. The two sided nature works a little against it since if I put two pieces into a pocket, I expect they'll catch on each other when I try to remove one.

I wonder if a version with two different grits on the two sides might be useful?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As some may know, in another thread, I'm working on some mitered corners. It occurred to me that double-sided sandpaper could work like the trick of sawing the miter joint to make the two edges match. It took a little futzing to get the joint tension right so I could get the sandpaper inserted and move it up-and-down, but I was able to. My coarsest grit is only 180, so I didn't go past proof-of-concept, but it does seem like something that 2-sided sandpaper is uniquely suited for. If the sandpaper were longer and stiffer, it would work better for this. (How's that for a set up?)

PXL_20230824_140104430.thumb.jpg.be91d3f94077004400aa592c92e9e0ed.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1