Sharpening Sink

Tom King

I'm jealous - I'd love to have a sink like that in my garage.  We are in the beginning stages of planning a kitchen expansion/remodel, and the kitchen shares a wall with the garage, so maybe I can find a way to extend plumbing and DWV to the common wall for a garage sink.  Hmm....now you have me really thinking!

• Like 2

I have another sink here in another shed for filling pump spray tanks.  It's just a cheap plastic utility sink.  No need for DWV tie in.  These drain pipes just go through the wall.  In a prior shop, that a tornado destroyed, the shop sink emptied into an Azalea bush so the pipe wasn't even seen.

All these sinks are just fed by a hose from a hydrant.  I would tie one into a house water system if one was available, but if you can get by with it, I don't even have traps on these sinks because there is no sewer gas to worry about.

I scoured CL for a long time looking for cheap stainless sinks.  I drove a couple of hours one way to get this one after the last one proved to be too small.  That was by far the longest distance I ever went for a CL purchase.  Most of the time they want a lot of money for them, but occasionally someone just wanted one out of their yard and sold them cheap, like this one.

I finished the final hookup this morning, and sharpened a couple of chisels to see how the new faucet works.  Just like I wanted it to.  You only need the tiniest stream of water.  I don't like to reuse dirty water, and there is no worry of wasting water here.  It's pumped out of the ground, and runs back in the ground.  No need to have to think about soaking stones either.

I wanted a cutoff inside the wall, and liked the splitter with ball valves so much that I checked to see if they made singles.  Not only do they also make singles, but 90 and 45 degree bends as well.

IMG_6019.jpg

IMG_6020.jpg

• Like 2

On 8/10/2023 at 7:01 PM, Tom King said:

I scoured CL for a long time looking for cheap stainless sinks.  I drove a couple of hours one way to get this one after the last one proved to be too small.  That was by far the longest distance I ever went for a CL purchase.  Most of the time they want a lot of money for them, but occasionally someone just wanted one out of their yard and sold them cheap, like this one.

You might want to visit a couple of scrap metal yards in your area and leave your name and number. My neighbor bought a commercial, two sink with s/s legs for under a hundred. 

I'm good now.  Pretty sure I will never need another one.  I found plenty of the multiple sink ones that seem to be most popular in restaurants.  I was specifically looking for one with a smallish sink on one end, and a long drainboard totaling about 8' long.  Most of those commercial sinks have big, deep sink basins like the first one I had that really took more room than it was worth for my use.  It was 4' wide, which I thought would work out, but the drainboard was smaller than the sink bowl.   This one is 92" with a more useful sized sink, and seems to be just right.

I can't remember what I paid for this one, but I'm pretty sure it was less than a hundred bucks.  The trip was the main cost, but I had looked a long time around here for it.

• 2 months later...
On 8/18/2023 at 10:28 PM, Tom King said:

Burned another morning on it today.  The long hose was going to be in the way with the short riser, so I put it on a longer riser.  This meant the shelf above had to go.  At least I was able to throw away probably half of the stuff that was on that part of the shelf, an put everything else to decide about later on a table set up to hold it.  This is taking longer than I wanted to put in it, but I'm determined now to get it like I want it.

The new faucet has a problem, and I just sent a bunch of pictures to the person at that company.  One company bought out another faucet manufacturer, and they're trying to use parts from two different types.  The spout won't stay in it...........

This building has a really strange construction.  I didn't build it, but I'm getting good use out of it.

One thing leads to another.  With that longer riser, I'm worried about the torque against the faucet base, so I ordered this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ADPE2XS?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I was planning to build a backsplash surround around it with some shelves, but I need to put new arbor bearings in the old Powermatic 62 table saw before it's good enough for precise work.  I've been wanting to get that going good again anyway, so that will be up shortly.

IMG_6042.jpg

You are planning about good detailing. 

Also you did nice detailing till this photo is captured!

On 8/18/2023 at 10:28 AM, Tom King said:

This is taking longer than I wanted to put in it, but I'm determined now to get it like I want it.

This is the key for me.  I am always happier in the long run if I put out the extra effort to get things like I want them.  Then I can just use them over and over again without having to fiddle with stuff every time.  It is coming right along.

• Like 2

I can't believe there would be enough to matter, even if this went into a septic tank.  Again, this is just a pipe that sticks through the wall.  Nothing like as much as goes on top of the ground for something like washing a car.  It might take a pint of water to sharpen a chisel.

A septic tank typically is a thousand gallon tank.  Any residue from sharpening couldn't possibly be enough to matter.

When I had this, or other sinks set up on the old houses I worked on, the drain went out onto a pile of sawdust, mainly to filter residue from paint brush cleaning.  Sharpening residue is not a worry.

• Like 1

It's still such a small amount that it couldn't possibly hurt anything.  Even if you ground up all the stones into dust, it wouldn't amount to much.

I posted a sharpening video years ago when I was set up at the kitchen sink in the basement of one of the old museum houses I was working in.  There was much waling and gnashing of teeth about wasting water and stopping up the plumbing.  Just for curiosity, when I moved out of that house I pulled off the PVC trap under that sink and it was as clean as a new one inside.

Septic tank systems are not nearly as fragile as a lot of people who haven't lived with one think.   The one in this house is 43 years old.  We had it pumped out once when there was a problem, but the tank didn't really need pumping.  Someone had flushed a plastic grocery bag with leaves in it, and it stopped the outlet in the distribution box.  Probably from one of our city visitors cleaning up behind their dog.

I don't think I've eroded even a total of an ounce off of those stones in years of pretty heavy use.  Why do people think this is any kind of problem?  The little bit running out on top of the ground here can't possibly hurt anything.  

• Like 2

On 11/4/2023 at 9:55 AM, Tom King said:

Septic tank systems are not nearly as fragile as a lot of people who haven't lived with one think.   The one in this house is 43 years old.  We had it pumped out once when there was a problem, but the tank didn't really need pumping.  Someone had flushed a plastic grocery bag with leaves in it, and it stopped the outlet in the distribution box.  Probably from one of our city visitors cleaning up behind their dog.

I don't think I've eroded even a total of an ounce off of those stones in years of pretty heavy use.  Why do people think this is any kind of problem?  The little bit running out on top of the ground here can't possibly hurt anything.  

There is a lot of internet “information” that makes it sound like any small thing can ruin/clog up a septic system. When we were buying our house, I started to get worried about the septic system. The original owners had never pumped the system in their ~28 years here and when we had it pumped/inspected during the buying process, it wasn’t full and had no issues. And they had raised 2 kids here. As with our well, I have found that these systems are not as finicky as they are made out to be. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom King said:

Even if you ground up all the stones into dust, it wouldn't amount to much.

1 hour ago, Tom King said:

don't think I've eroded even a total of an ounce off of those stones in years of pretty heavy use.  Why do people think this is any kind of problem?

Good point, Tom. 

I'm thinking more about my ejector pit, than an actual septic tank, but it still may not be that much of an issue.

Our original septic tank called for 900 sq. ft. of drain field according to the county health department.  We didn't have any problem until the very large Oak trees surrounding our house decided they liked the drain lines.  One huge Pin Oak completely filled up the lines with very large roots.  I think that was after 33 years.  Several people suggested we take down some of those trees for various reasons when we built the house, but we have never wanted to.  The shade is wonderful in Summer.

I installed a new 2700 sq. ft. drain field out in the pasture beside our house, simply because there was room for that much with two very long lines using panels.  I don't know how many thousands of gallons they can hold, but more than a few.   I also left the distribution box close to the surface right inside the fence so it could be accessed easily if ever needed.  Haven't thought about it since.

• Like 1