Shop Vacs

Now that the shop is no longer on the same property as my house, I am finding it necessary to buy two of some essentials. One of those being a shop vac. So I'm going to take my smaller Shop Vac brand unit and keep that at the house, while purchasing something new for the shop. I am considering this monster: http://www.lowes.com/pd_195966-20097-9341411_4294857472_4294937087_?productId=1056751&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Shop%2BVacuums_4294857472_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1#BVRRWidgetID

Curious what you folks use. Not really concerned about dust extraction here, just good old fashioned cleaning. So large capacity and lots of power.

Although mine is older, it's the big 16 gallon job and I've just always used dust bags. I haven't killed it yet. Noisy though! I'm thinking of putting it with a Thein separator on a cart. Just thinking..I'm lazy.

I have a Craftsman 25 gallon vacuum, and sticking my head inside a jet engine would be quieter. Maybe it's the low ceilings, maybe it's something else, but it's really loud. Not to mention that I need something resembling the Dust Deputy (or some home made version) to keep the filter from clogging.

Why not use the Festool vacuum?

My Festool systems are all dedicated to dust extraction. And the few times i have used my Festool for cleaning the floor, I haven't been happy with it. I like the big oversized parts and accessories that come with standard shop vacs. Just makes for easier cleaning.

I like how well mine follows me around the shop. I use it mainly to vacuum the floors. I got the floor sweeps from Oneida and wont be installing the one on the power tool side. I hate stirring up dust by using a broom. I don't mind on the handtool side, as it's not dust, just shavings (eventually).

Marc,

you may want to consider a 16 gallon ridgid model from home depot. ridgid offers a lifetime warranty on all of their power tools including their vacs. you just can't beat that warranty! my experiences with ridgid vacs have all been positive. i've never had to fall back on the warranty yet.

I think 2.5" is standard for shop vacs.

A little off the subject, but I've found a little Stinger vacuum to be a great investment. There's a ton of times that I don't want to haul the big shop vac somewhere, but I still want a wet/dry vac. Like a puddle in a crawl-space. Or a low spot in a gutter. Or in the attic - not only don't I want to haul a shop-vac up the stairs to the third floor, I really don't want to haul it up a ladder and through the access hatch.

I've bought them for a bunch of friends and they have all come back 6 months later saying how useful they are. You know a gift is a hit when you hear about it 6 months later.

I had to haul my Shop Vac up to the roof to vac a wasp nest out of the furnace vent last fall. Since we moved to the ductless heat pump, the pipe gets no use during the summer. At least I managed to get it without it falling into the unit! That would've sucked.

Whats really weird Marc is the one you posted shows Air Flow (CFM) 210.0 so I went back to check on the one I picked up and the strange thing is the 5.5hp 12gal one I got is showing it has Air Flow (CFM) 345.0 not to sure how much of a difference 135 CFM makes but I know that 12 gallon of mine could suck start a Harley lol and doesnt seem to fill up to quick to be honest.

I had a craftsman 12gal shopvac, that was a rebranded ShoVac brand. It served me very well. Probably would be, but using it for DC for the planer proved too much for it, and is no longer functional. Up until then, I still got about 10 years of very good usage out of it.

Go Rigid. I'm sure you'll be okay with the shop vac brand but I've had very good results after I switched to a Rigid after burning up my shop vac brand. The lifetime warranty can't be beat. Here's the link to the equivalent Rigid Model at HD. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100638347/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

And if you don't need to have the stainless steel model, here's the link to the equivalent 16 gallon: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100638360/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Tim

FYI, In full disclosure, I am a little biased since I work for Emerson. The Craftsman brand vac is also made by Emerson.

Marc,

you may want to consider a 16 gallon ridgid model from home depot. ridgid offers a lifetime warranty on all of their power tools including their vacs. you just can't beat that warranty! my experiences with ridgid vacs have all been positive. i've never had to fall back on the warranty yet.

^^^this

this is what I have and can't be happier. Bought a shop vac from lowes that lasted about a week. Went to HD and love the ridgid. Quieter and more power.

I have an older 6.5 gallon ridgid. It has a nice wide 2.5" hose on it that I like, and came with 2 straight tubes, a floor sweep and the angle attachment. Not so long ago the borg switched to a much smaller ~1" hose, and I really dislike those hoses. They're weaker, yet somehow less flexible. And they now make sure to include almost no attachments with the smaller units so that you have to buy the overpriced accessories to get a functional shop vac. (The big giant ones tend to include attachments)

And remember, the larger the vac is, the bigger pain in the butt it is to empty it!

And if you think routers are bad for ridiculous horsepower ratings, you haven't seen anything yet. They love to use the word "peak" to mask this. 6 Horsepower! Out of a 10amp circuit! MAGIC!

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Wet-Dry-Vacuums/h_d1/N-5yc1vZb8pi/R-100638347/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Ridgid 16Gallon $179

Mark's link to the Shop Vac brand unit, $169. Similar set of accessories. Both take filter bags, although the Lowes unit does come with one for free.

Add $29.97 for a HEPA "class" filter, for either vac. Note that most of these things are not actually HEPA certified. They just claim to adhere to HEPA specs.

When I finally do build my dream shop, I'm going to seriously consider one of those wall mount vacuums to accompany the dust collector.

Marc I'll add my pick in the hat for the ridgid brand of vacs. I've had several brands and nothing was as quite or efficient as the ridgid I currently own.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100081216/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

The model I ended up choosing was the 14gal one. This was mainly due to a couple of things.

1. It got great reviews overall

2. lighter then the larger 16gal metal versions

3. Easier to move around and more importantly store then the larger models

4. Much more quiet then the larger metal can ones.

I use mine almost exclusively for my milwaukee miter saw and I have to say it does a great job. It sits under the miter bench nicely and most importantly is out of the way and not taking floor space.

Note: I did buy, and highly recommend, the aftermarket washable filter and the dust bags. The filter alone is great because when it gets dirty you can knock off the dirt then wash it clean and let it dry(i usually put mine on the dryer shoe rack on low or fluff air).

The dust bags are a recent addition but a great one. They didn't hurt suction all that bad, that I can tell, and the major + is that suction doesn't degrade as you collect woodworking pixey dust.

If capacity is an issue for you by all means go for the 16gal model but truth be told you won't want to roll around 16gal of material as it gets heavy. Additionally your suction will be trash by the time you fill it up.

Marc,

I'm on my third one. Both of the others were replaced under warranty. Great vac. I have the plastic version, it doesn't dent very easily.

I guess I will be the devils advocate.

I have had the stainless shopvac model for fourteen years. It is still as strong as the the new craftsman I was given for Christmas last year. The main downfall to the unit that I have is the inch and half hose, but it looks like they finally upgraded that to the two inch.