OK, Time to Confess!

thewoodwhisperer

So I'm at one of those points where I have a limited amount of time between projects. The shop was never completely set up after the move and a lot of things are just cobbled together or simply laying on the floor. Its an organizational nightmare that actually affects my mood when I'm working. Yeah, I'm weird like that. So I'm determined to get the shop in order BEFORE starting the next project. With so much to do, I'm pretty sure I am going to just buy some of the storage items I need. Yes its more expensive, but for me time is money. And to be completely honest, I really get no satisfaction out of building a utility cabinet these days.

I know I'm not the only one to confront a situation like this. So its time to confess my friends! Tell the world what things you purchased, that you could have built if you really wanted to. Don't be ashamed. :) If you have a picture, even better! In fact, I'd like to see how you incorporated "store bough" cabinets into your shop.

I think this is my way of trying to push down the guilt, haha!

Most of my shop cabinets are from a big blue store with a yellow sign. They look nice and were easier than fighting with sheet goods in my small shop not set up for working with plywood. Plus, like you said, it's not enjoyable. Hey - I'm a furnituremaker, not a cabinetmaker. It was definitely worth it.

The two shelf units on the back wall were bought:

dsc_4095r.jpg?w=510&h=341

As well as the one hung on the wall.

dsc_4092r.jpg?w=510&h=341

Its an organizational nightmare that actually affects my mood when I'm working. Yeah, I'm weird like that.

I think this is my way of trying to push down the guilt, haha!

I am with you on this one. I get frustrated easier and don't enjoy my shop time as much when the place is a mess... which is most of the time! :blink:

I haven't made any cabinet purchases for my shop but I do keep an eye out for "free" storage solutions. I have a large built-in bookshelf that I took out of one of the kids rooms and now it resides in the shop with spray paint, woodworking books and magizines and some "stuff" on it. I just piked up a cool old wooden file cabinet off of the side of the road a couple of days ago. I work all over the city so I get around and get to see a ton of free stuff set out on the curb for the taking. I could have a small warehouse full of items like that but I have limited space so I only take the "best" of what is out there, home.

Don't feel guilty about buying your cabinets. If I could, I would too. I would also like to build my own cabinets, but like you said "time is money". That is a true statement for me too. Sounds like you just need to get organized and move on to the next project. Later on, when you get caught up(good luck ;) ) you can focus on some of those shop related projects.

Remember why you got into woodworking to begin with and enjoy the journey.

I could have written an insightful, evocative, brilliant blog post for my readers. But being a smart cookie, I just posted a question on my forum and let my faithful readers do the work. Gotta be good for at least 50 comments and few dozen photos. Ahhh, the easy life. In fact, I could have done that while lounging on my Adirondack chair, but my lovely spouse hasn't gotten around to the finishing just yet.

Yes, indeed, suffering for the craft.

Well, I was planning on moving some of the old shop storage into the new space. But now that I really measure it, I won't be able to fit the pair of "adjustable" shelves I purchased some time ago. These are currently set up in their "full tower" layout, and held together by a set of four machine bolts with square nuts (I believe they are 1/4" by 2", 20 thread) keeping them held together. This is the stamped sheet metal variety, maybe 4 gauge (Tinfoil feels thicker than some of the parts), with five shelves per set. The problem is that you need one shelf to bridge the two pieces that make up the vertical supports, so the shelves are only adjustable around this limitation. The wood part itself is 1/4" MDF that has already broken (and started to mold on two shelves), but still holds quite a bit. These shelves have the option of being made as one "tower" or two shelf units that roughly double as a workbench (if you have no other options), but are not really suitable for either.

I linked the pair together, and stacked and stickered my short lumber across the top shelves, and used the rest for a variety of storage, including camping gear.

However, the new shop does not have the wall space to set these up in, so I am forced to build my own. (Partly because of space restrictions, and partly because there isn't anything on the market that will really organize and fit my new space. I've been looking every chance I get.)

The bits I do have that will work are the plastic drawer storage units. I have one small three drawer unit (the kind that sits on desktops) that holds my whetstones and sharpening jigs, as well as the hardware for the next build, and one larger five drawer that I use to store my sandpaper, measuring devices, paper, pens, electrical cords, and spare light bulbs in. (Used to hold the shop rags, too, but I found a better place to store those.)

Blasphemy! Repent I say. I myself love to build stuff for my shop, it seems I'm always making something for someone else. I just really like making heavy duty bullet proof shop cabinets and drawers you don't have to worry if you have to much wieght in them. I've built all my shop cabinets, all the cabinets in my home, hell I built my shop and my home I guess I refuse to pay for something that I can make better I don't care what it is I just like to built stuff, furniture, cabinets, Houses, decks whatever I enjoy being a carpenter, and a woodworker it's my hobby and my job.

• Like 1

I've purchased a fair list of stuff for the shop that would fall under the category of utility or storage. I purchased the manufacturer mobile bases for my table saw and miter saw, intended more for worksite use, but I figured it might help resale or if I have to build out of my shop for some reason and in the short term allowed me to use them to build stuff. I also have two metal and MDF garage shelves I purchased from the Borg, they're not going anywhere. I anticipate purchasing something that will function as my flammables cabinet. I purchased a Craftsman toolchest stack, which is already overflowing, eventually it will contain mostly automotive type tools and reside by the motorcycles.

There's two Sjoberg workbenches, the Hobby and 1450 models, the hobby is in my house as a carving bench until I get the shop AC installed or replace it with a purpose built carving bench. When the smaller bench moves into the shop it will be pressed into service as a horizontal surface for my drill press and oscillating sander. Eventually I'm going to make a workbench, but I'm still identifying the features that I want on it. For now I'm planning on modifying the larger Sjoberg 1450 to try different features. I purchased a Taiwanese copy of an Emmert that I'm going to try mounting on it, and I'm going to play with the height.

I'm just now finishing my first piece of "shop built" furniture, a mobile sheet goods rack, the question of how much of the rest of it I'm going to build and what I'm going to buy is still up in the air. I suspect I'll end up making an example of each type of object if I think they have a lesson to teach me. On the list right now is the wall hanging tool cabinet, a mobile assembly table, and a wall mounted wood rack. I'm also considering a miter saw station and tablesaw mobile cabinet, but the manufacturer bases for each right now work well enough, so will probably wait on that.

I'm not sure I see any shame in buying something that will function adequately and save my limited shop time for projects that I want to do. If buying a cabinet from a big box store keeps me from buying a disposable desk from IKEA or Target, I think that's a good trade off. I'll use that desk with pride while the cabinet holds the tools that I use to make things that last. In an ideal world, I'd make all my shop furnishings, by hand, from trees that I harvested and sawed and dried myself. I'm okay with being a flawed woodworker.

i havent bought anything but i havent built anything yet eather......my shop is in a school that is 100 years old and used to be a mental hospital(serously creapy)..........we have shelves, tables, racks, carts, lockers(keep kids out of tools) cases, all piled up in basments, back rooms and attics so i have no lack of storage. trying to figure out how to get some of this stuff home but it is all huge like 9ft tall shelves that weigh as much as my car. i have a long table that is my work bench that used to be a dinning room table and is solid oak it is even carved up with peoples names and what not from the 1930s. all my chemicals are in a safe.......i literal safe that i had to get a manual forklift from the place next door to move around. the locking mechanism got taken out at some point but the fire marshal cant say that its a hazard since the walls of it are 1.5 thick steel.

The cabinets I can do easily. The drawers become more difficult and time consuming. This is my story and I'm sticking to it...

05k9810s8.jpg

Those are pretty slick, that's an option due some serious contemplation. Too bad Lee Valley doesn't offer one with internal dividers for hardware.

I have a large metal storage cabinet and a small file cabinet. I keep my glues, finishes and some other brick-a-brack in the metal cabinet. I put a thermostat controlled heater in it so the materials don't freeze in the winter. In the small file cabinet I have the owner's manuals from my tools in one drawer and a bunch of nails and screws in the other drawer. I got both of them at the University of Maryland's surplus store. They were cheap and in good condition. If there is a university near your shop, I'd recommend checking them out. I'm thinking about getting some more of the small file cabinets and build my mitre saw station on top of it.

Jonathan

====================================

I have a large metal storage cabinet and a small file cabinet. I keep my glues, finishes and some other brick-a-brack in the metal cabinet. I put a thermostat controlled heater in it so the materials don't freeze in the winter. In the small file cabinet I have the owner's manuals from my tools in one drawer and a bunch of nails and screws in the other drawer. I got both of them at the University of Maryland's surplus store. They were cheap and in good condition. If there is a university near your shop, I'd recommend checking them out. I'm thinking about getting some more of the small file cabinets and build my mitre saw station on top of it.

Jonathan

====================================

Filing cabinets are good Jonathan. I have a 3 drawer cabinet in my shop with power tools in the drawers and the laptop on top.