Kreg jig

Woodgears has a write-up on doing precisely this: http://woodgears.ca/shop-tricks/pocket-hole.html

Problem is this: The purpose of "dropping back" to something as pedestrian as pocket screws instead of "real" joinery is to save time. If you need to bodger up blocks of scrap and clamps every time you want to drill a pocket hole, that (to me, at least) defeats the purpose.

In fairness to the Kreg corporation, the cost of the jig itself isn't that bad. It's fairly well made and, once you have one, you'll find it finding its way into your work more and more. But, like a computer printer, where they really get you is in the consumables: The screws are quite pricey.

You could start with the small 'pocket jig' to get by... I think the master set comes with both the pocket and individual... I forget, but i got the master set years ago, and it's one of those tools that i don't use often, but when i do, it's well worth the $$$... I just figure $140/10 years = $14/year = good deal (as long as i hide the Amazon box from my wife)...

• 2 months later...

I use my kreg jig constantly. If my customers want to save money I give them the option for pocket holes to keep the cost down. Most of the time they choose pocket holes. I find it best to give them a combination of both styles of joinery. The screws are not that expensive 100pack @ 3.37 at lowes.

If you factor in time and the cost of blades and bits pocket holes screws are economical. Harbor Freight

sells a pocket hole jig for 69.99 but I have never used it.

post-5469-0-33851500-1345332902_thumb.jp

I have the original cast aluminum Kreg jig(25+ years) and when the master kit came out I bought it for the addition of a vaccum port. You can do most of the things possible with just the clamp and the little individual drill block. It will just take you a bit more time.

The master system gives you quicker clamping and more adjustments,especially if you work in varying thicknesses of materials. I love the vac port because you can drill a hole in one stroke, no more in and out to clear the shavings and no shavings in the way when you shift to the next mark.

The smallest cheap little shop vac is sufficient to keep the shavings clear. I just wish they made an affordable quiet little vac!

Pocket hole screws do not replace all types of joinery, but are a great addition to fasten joints in many ways. Glue adds greatly to the strength .

I have the original cast aluminum Kreg jig(25+ years) and when the master kit came out I bought it for the addition of a vaccum port. You can do most of the things possible with just the clamp and the little individual drill block. It will just take you a bit more time.

The master system gives you quicker clamping and more adjustments,especially if you work in varying thicknesses of materials. I love the vac port because you can drill a hole in one stroke, no more in and out to clear the shavings and no shavings in the way when you shift to the next mark.

The smallest cheap little shop vac is sufficient to keep the shavings clear. I just wish they made an affordable quiet little vac!

Pocket hole screws do not replace all types of joinery, but are a great addition to fasten joints in many ways. Glue adds greatly to the strength .

I agree with wdwerker regarding the dust port. A "must have" for sure!

Harbor Freight sells a pocket hole jig for 69.99 but I have never used it.

I LOVE this thing! It works really, really well. I use the Kreg screws and when the drill bit that came with the kit got dull, I replaced it with the Kreg bit. I only use pocket screws when I make face frames, but the drillmaster version at HF is a terrific, top notch tool. Don't confuse this with their usual crap. It's billet aluminum, not a crappy cast. It also comes with brackets to mount the guides to a table for larger pieces.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Invest in one. The pocket hole in conjunction with some quality wood glue is very strong. No it is not as strong as say a mortise and tenon, but the time you save is well worth it. I have attached face frames, tops, sides, and even assembled drawers with pocket holes. These pieces are still here with no joint failure.

I feel the same way about DC and glue.. Unfortunately, the guy who bought the master system for my company chucked the little dust port cup thing and I haven't been able to find a replacement! I've rigged a small shop vac thing with mangled attachment parts but it still doesn't cut the real thing. Also, I buy kreg screws in packs of 1000 on amazon. in comparison to the lowes by our shop, amazon is half the price including shipping than if i were to buy the 100 packs. Kreg makes a good pocket hole screw but i know local hardware stores tend to carry them in bulk. shop around! Also I saw in the Grizzly catalog a "45 degree angle" 3/8 pocket hole drill bit. apparently this allows flat head drywall type screws to sit inside the pocket which would really cut down on your fastener costs!!! never used it... has anyone?