Altar build

Bombarde16

Not only is the consecration of an altar actually listed on page 197 of the Book of Occasional Services (https://www.riteseries.org/brain/bos/3/56/) but it further prescribes that it is specifically reserved for the local bishop.  Next episcopal visit for this church is sometime in the spring and we'll take care of it then.

Given the level of profanity that goes into any project, I'd just as soon not have my tools go anywhere near anyone in a position of ecclesiastical authority...

hahahahaha woke up this morning and that is the first thing i looked at and it made me laugh so hard my side is killing me.  then ask them them to bless your car cant hurt.

Looking great so far. I have been doing wood work for over 35 years and your approach and results are pretty close to what I would expect for some of the complex joints you have had to cut. Perfect on the 3rd try is fairly typical, careful at first, over adjust ,then bingo that's the spot!

After all that work be very careful finishing, I have turned profitable projects into nightmares by being careless finishing.

I always make spare parts if there is a lot of complex steps involved in each one. Practice finishing on the ones that are less than perfect .

Are you jut going to use a chainsaw to cut the extra length off those legs :o  I guess a sawsall would work also.

I would think the circular saw would be a safer, more consistent choice!  Just like  you do on a deck or something.

Love this Project build!  Keep up the good work!

Took longer than I hoped to finish all the curves:  I had applied packing tape to the outside of the outer laminates to keep glue from squeezing out while they were in the forms and said tape turned into a sticky mess.  Out comes the citrus cleaner and (for those who might find this information useful in the future) the orange pigment in Goo-Gone does not impart any noticeable color to the wood.  Lesson learned.  n\Next time, it'll be blue tape.

Because of the way the curves cross and interlock, these have to be glued one side at a time.  First side went in tonight, second side goes in tomorrow.  Should be able to break out the chainsaw track saw sometime on Sunday and delivery will be sometime next week.

Alright then, with all the curves glued into place and the spreaders screwed securely in place, the base moves up to the garage and it's time to trim the straight legs on top.  Easiest way to do that is to clamp my circular saw guide onto the side and run across.

IMG_8647.JPG

With that done the top and base can now come together for the first time.

IMG_8648.JPG

Last little detail is to make a pair of brackets to hold the top on to the base.  This little knuckle of clamps, wax paper and birch ply will become a pair of blanks for said brackets.

IMG_8649.JPG

Beyond that and perhaps a little more fussing over the finish, it's ready for delivery.

• Like 1

yaye finaly done...........almost have to sighn the bottom and get it blessed.

looks good glad the build went so good for you.

maybe you can put together a a photo book and step by step build for it and have the church add it to there bulliten board i bet alot of people would be inturested in how it was made and it might drum up some busness for you later on. 

Safely delivered to the church and currently hiding under a pile of linens.  The dimensions match the old table that the church had been using; the theory was that they might want to reuse the old linens.  (I doubt they'll want to cover the inscription, though, and one person is already working on designs for new ones).  At any rate, for the time being it looks exactly like what was there before.

0302131453.jpg

The super-sneaky plan is to unveil it during the Great Vigil of Easter.  Anyone local to the Chicago area is certainly welcome to stop in.  The church is located at 1509 Ridge Avenue in Evanston and the service starts at 7:30pm on Saturday, March 30th.  PM me for more information if you need directions.

Thanks to everyone who's followed along and offered kind words.  Expect one final post after the unveiling when I can do a proper spread of pictures.

ALL THAT WORK AND IT IS SO NICE LOOKING AND THEY COVER IT UP !......................hope they dont leave it like that and the new covering only cover part of the alter not the Entire thing.  something like my church has its just a table runner type of covering.  at the end of the mass father folds up the cloth blesses it and then stores it under the crusifix. 

• 1 month later...