1. 1. How far ahead do you plan your projects

• What's planning?
    • This project.
    • The next project is...
    • The Next Big Thing (TM)
    • Coupl'a' months
    • I'm booked for the next six months
    • I can squeeze you in in December

So, I've started planning out my projects for the site I'm trying to get together.  Nowhere near as good as what you guys have accomplished, so don't feel any pressure.  I'm targeting more the crafter/ college/ "what's a tool?" crowd.  (I've spoken briefly about it, but that's not the point of this post.)

I realized I'm going to be busier than I had thought, since I've got a target of a post every other week, with a video and/or photo montage of the building process included.  So, rather than flit from project to project and not be done on time, I figured I'd plan for a couple of projects.

I started by looking at what I've already committed myself to, and some needs in the household.  (I'm sure this is a common theme.)  Before I realized it, I had more projects listed than there were months in the year.  I'm just curious, though, how far out do you plan your projects?

I know not all of us have production schedules (or jobs) that allow us to create furniture in a rapid production manner.  I'm curious to see, though, who plans and how far out.  I'm not asking you to elaborate on the projects unless you want to, and there is no size restriction to the project you have planned.  (I'm not including home repairs in this list, by the way.  Home improvements - defined as something that did not exist before you made it - are included: my list includes a bookshelf for the laundry area.)  But how often and how far out do you plan your projects?

What is your definition of "planning a project"? I dream of things to build non stop, if something rattles around in my head long enough, I will actually put some rough sketches on paper. My last biggish project, I didn't really plan at all till I ran across a really good deal on some walnut that fit an idea, so I scribbled down some sketches and dimensions and started planing and glueing, but first I had to buy a power planer. I have started trying to finish one project  before I start another.

I think for the average person time and money dictate project progression, both can be very hard to figure and you can't do anything unless you have both.

Sorry, should have been more specific.  By planning, I mean knowing what the project is, not necessarily what the dimensions of it will be.  For example, I've got 14 projects for this year.  I know one will take me two months worth of time, and because it's a bigger project (mobile kitchen cart with a butcher block counter top) I need to have access to the outdoors to build it.  (I have an outdoor shop, so smaller projects can get done in a day or three.  This will involve glue ups, flattening, multiple sub assemblies, and many space-consuming steps that cannot be completed indoors for me.)  I don't have the dimensions worked up yet, but I know I'll be doing that in May/June.  In January, though, I'll be working with 1/4" plywood to make a piggy bank, something I can do on the dining room table.  (Carefully, though, because the family would kill me if I cut through the table.)

I have two projects upcoming, with the first starting any day now, that will probably last about a year each.  I'm not currently taking on anything else.

If a project lasts more than 4-5 weeks, I loose interest. If I had to undertake one that lasted a year, I give up woodworking and take up binge drinking. Instant gratification!

If a project lasts more than 4-5 weeks, I loose interest. If I had to undertake one that lasted a year, I give up woodworking and take up binge drinking. Instant gratification!

Yea, that is one of the reasons I started doing industrial maintenance instead of commercial construction I can't get along with most people for that long LOL

Since I only build gifts or stuff for my house (so far), my planning is pretty relaxed. I usually kick around a bunch of ideas, but they don't materialize until there is a specific need.

In your situation, thinking 14 projects ahead is a good thing. I would also execute at least three if them before releasing any videos or articles. That gives you a buffer in case life happens and throws your production off schedule. It seems most maker-type YouTube channels do best with regular episode releases.

I employ two levels of project planning.

First I have a list of a half dozen projects which I have in mind for the future.

For example, I would like to make a hall table, a cabinet for my bathroom, a couple of boxes for weddings, serving trays for breakfast in bed, I'm thinking of making a taboret by copying a classic Stickley design, and I want to duplicate a folding chair which has an interesting design incorporating big chunky dowels as the pivot points.

Then I have the immediate project I'm working on, which will usually require a crudely dimensioned drawing of some sort.

Best case scenario...I have the "detailed" plan worked out for my next project before the finish is dry on the current project.

It seldom works that way because I get so wrapped up in the current project that I don't get going on the next set of plans until too late.

I rarely get into my shop, so I do one big project at a time, about 6-12 months each.  A normal person would get them done in that many weeks.  I also do tons of small projects while I'm working on the main one.  Last one was a coffee table (15 months) and I did a run of 13 cherry slide-top boxes, one rabbeted lid tea box, a rabbit hutch, and a run of 8 poplar boxes in between steps...

Well, I have a list somewhere of projects, five or six big ones and maybe a dozen little ones.  However, that list is subject to change at any time and occasionally I loose the list and have to start it over again. 

At some point in the next year I'm hoping to make a Entertainment Center, small workbench, and finish a built in cabinet for our laundry room.  But I am also re-siding parts of my house and demolishing and re-building the deck, so that will steal a few months away from the shop.  I like to look one project ahead, that way I can pick up the lumber and let it acclimate to the shop.  Then when I'm done with the current project I can jump right into the next one.

More than half of my sales happen in the month before Christmas so every year is pretty much planned around having my inventory ready for then.  By the time I get restocked after the holidays it's time to start worrying about the next one.  I also know there are a lot of birthdays in my family at the end of the year so I have to pretty much start figuring out what I am going to do for all those in the Spring.  I've got the youtube channel too so I'm trying to stay a month ahead planning out videos for that.  There's always another challenge or contest around the corner and I try to participate in those when I can to help grow the channel.