sharing a friends carving

Janello

This was done by Patrick Burke, a friend and co-worker.. Patrick has been carving off and on for 16 years (he says more off than on) and has done some amazing work. I thought you all would enjoy seeing this project he is currently working on. He still has more detail to do, specifically,  the claws, tail and face will get more attention. I find his work amazing and worth sharing!

dragon_4.thumb.jpg.0074e316554b23ccba5a5

dragon5.thumb.jpg.5e78485ac1391e8de91d92

Edited by Janello

Cool!

Unfortunately carvers will follow the path of dragons in a few years, extinction (?), when the average joe, without any skill whatsoever, will be able to produce a piece like that with just a mouse click.

ok, so I'll give you a blank program interface for a 3d mapping 360* on every plane cnc and you code it to to make this  or any object.. 

Ooh yeah, I forgot, that would take a LOT of skill just to program. Maybe not woodworking but find me one average joe that can do it, right now.

ok, so I'll give you a blank program interface for a 3d mapping 360* on every plane cnc and you code it to to make this  or any object.. 

Ooh yeah, I forgot, that would take a LOT of skill just to program. Maybe not woodworking but find me one average joe that can do it, right now.

Hey! I said in a few years, not right now. Hardware will get cheaper and software will evolve to the point that anyone will be able to download a model and just "print" it to wood, like you do now with a PDF document.

Funny story about Patrick.

When I first met him and found out he was a carver, I had asked if he would some day make me a Tiki Man carving for my bar. The better part of 4 years went by, then out of nowhere, Pat walked up to me (total Forest Gump moment) and said "I'm done now". He pulled out an awesome Tiki Man carving for me. 

I keep telling Pat I want to collaborate a furniture piece with a carving. One day we will.

Edited by Janello
  • Like 1

Hey! I said in a few years, not right now. Hardware will get cheaper and software will evolve to the point that anyone will be able to download a model and just "print" it to wood, like you do now with a PDF document.

I didn't mean to be that brash. I'm just totally over the CNC & 3D discussion.  Just as I'm sure a hundred other tech advances have threatened and failed  to kill this hobby, cnc ain't going to do it either. 

carving wood has been happening for literal Thousands of years.  Just because something is there that would make it easier,  doesn't mean every carver is going to give up their tools.

I didn't mean to be that brash. I'm just totally over the CNC & 3D discussion.  Just as I'm sure a hundred other tech advances have threatened and failed  to kill this hobby, cnc ain't going to do it either. 

carving wood has been happening for literal Thousands of years.  Just because something is there that would make it easier,  doesn't mean every carver is going to give up their tools.

I hope you're right. I'd hate to see computers taking over the arts.

Unfortunately carvers will follow the path of dragons in a few years, extinction (?), when the average joe, without any skill whatsoever, will be able to produce a piece like that with just a mouse click.

Anyone with the 3D visualization skills needed to create a CAD model of something like this for a machine to work with, could probably much more quickly just pick up a chisel and release the dragon from it's wooden prison. It'll be a while yet before Skynet delivers us custom carvings this cool.