Dewalt vs. Milwaukee

Griff

So I must say I'm a huge fan of Milwaukee!! I have lots of different Milwaukee tools and the only issue I've ever had was with the charger that came with my combo drill kit but i returned it and the new one hasn't let me down! I have  both 18v and 12v tools. I know dewalt carries 20v tools which may be one small advantage over Milwaukee just curious your opinion on dewalt or Milwaukee and why you joined #team dewalt or #teammilwaukee? 

I own Dewalt, Makita, Bosch, Milwaukee...probably a tool from every major brand.  I don't think there's much difference between them.  Compare similar models and make a decision for each tool based upon their own merits and the cost.  One brand isn't better than another IMO.  You can take a step down and buy Craftsman or Ryobi or Black & Decker, etc...but if you stick with the higher quality brands you'll be fine most of the time.  If you want to experience true quality, drink some green Kool-Aid. :)

• Like 1

I mostly with agree with Eric, they are in about the same league   

In general Bosch and Makita have a little more finesse whereas Dewalt and Milwaukee have a little more ass.  If i am going to buy a tool and am too lazy to research I go with Bosch or Makita, unless it is a festool worthy function.   I could be wrong, but it feels like Porter Cable has lost its identity a bit.  Too many corporate changes I think.  

28 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Before i was a #Festoolman i was a #Boschman. Love me some #Festool. I really like #Makita as well. I was never a #Dewaltfan. 

ps. Not sure why im putting pound signs before the brand names, im just copying you because I want to be cool. 

Shane has gotten to the point where if it isn't a Festool, it's a harbor freight special.  

I personally like Makita for my drills, however if I was replacing and my 2 choices were Milwaukee or Dewalt I would go with Milwaukee. 

Shane has gotten to the point where if it isn't a Festool, it's a harbor freight special.  

I personally like Makita for my drills, however if I was replacing and my 2 choices were Milwaukee or Dewalt I would go with Milwaukee. 

Huh? Not sure how you got that from my post. #reread it

For work I regularly use my makita tools. I have a 5 tool cordless kit. I have a dewalt compressor and chop saw. Had a Milwaukee gyproc drill that broke not long after having it. I had a 9 tool cordless hitachi kit before my makita kit. My shop radio is a bosch and ive had a plethora of Bosch tools over the years. For service calls i actually use a 12v Stanley drill/impact kit.

So there my equally Festool obsessed compadre!

6e505a857638e88cae925d117ff70961.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Huh? Not sure how you got that from my post. #reread it

For work I regularly use my makita tools. I have a 5 tool cordless kit. I have a dewalt compressor and chop saw. Had a Milwaukee gyproc drill that broke not long after having it. I had a 9 tool cordless hitachi kit before my makita kit. My shop radio is a bosch and ive had a plethora of Bosch tools over the years. For service calls i actually use a 12v Stanley drill/impact kit.

So there my equally Festool obsessed compadre!

6e505a857638e88cae925d117ff70961.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Wow!  So moody tonight Shane. 

12 minutes ago, Lester Burnham said:

Install AutoHotKey, right-click your desktop and create a new AHK script. It'll open a blank text document, from there copy and paste this...

RAlt::Space

then save it. Double-click the AHK script you just made on the desktop and now when you press the Right Alt key, it'll be the space bar.  You can change it to whatever, I was just using the Right Alt as an example.

Just change the part here ---->  ___::Space   to whatever key you like.

Here's a list of keys.  https://autohotkey.com/docs/KeyList.htm

Iceballs for the win.  I nominate thee WTO in-house IT guy.  No interviews necessary.

I'm all over the place with your average corded tools. I have a Milwaukee saws-all, combo-driver, 1/2" drive drill, and jig-saw. I have DeWalt palm and 1.75hp routers plus a hand planer, a pin nailer, jobsite table saw, and 10" and 12" compound miter saws. Bosch 1.75hp router and hammer-drill. Makita combo drills, 2x 5" ROS, 6" sander, and a right angle drill. Fein multitool. Hitachi, deWalt, Porter Cable, and Senco nailers of various sizes. A Makita, a Bosch, and a Dewalt compressor.

(As Eric said) They're all about the same. One or the other might have a singular feature you may prefer, but they all do the job about the same, and the quality/longevity is similar unless you get a dud. As an example, I like my Makita combo-kit better than the Milwaukee one I have because the drill/driver has a hammer-drill setting. They are both good tools, for what they are and the price point. They are not Fes-like in quality...but they work for a while.

I have a friend who is all about dewalt and always gives me crap because I'm a Milwaukee man which I've just never been a fan of dewalt no reason just always thought the price was to high for certain tools compared to other brands first thing that turned me off dewalt was the 12" sliding compound miter saw was 599.00 compared to the Hitachi 12" sliding compound miter saw for 399.00 I think the Hitachi is a better saw with the sliding bars on the side instead of the back to save space and at 200 cheaper it's just put me off to dewalt. 

5 minutes ago, davewyo said:

I'm all over the place with your average corded tools. I have a Milwaukee saws-all, combo-driver, 1/2" drive drill, and jig-saw. I have DeWalt palm and 1.75hp routers plus a hand planer, a pin nailer, jobsite table saw, and 10" and 12" compound miter saws. Bosch 1.75hp router and hammer-drill. Makita combo drills, 2x 5" ROS, 6" sander, and a right angle drill. Fein multitool. Hitachi, deWalt, Porter Cable, and Senco nailers of various sizes. A Makita, a Bosch, and a Dewalt compressor.

(As Eric said) They're all about the same. One or the other might have a singular feature you may prefer, but they all do the job about the same, and the quality/longevity is similar unless you get a dud. As an example, I like my Makita combo-kit better than the Milwaukee one I have because the drill/driver has a hammer-drill setting. They are both good tools, for what they are and the price point. They are not Fes-like in quality...but they work for a while.

Not sure what brand on the market rivals fescool but at the price point for they're tools they are targeting one audience they rich lol I REALLY want the domino but that's really the only fescool product I'm interested in.

I own more Dewalt than anything else but it's not really a big deal to me. I chose Makita track saw over dewalt, so I'm definitely not tied to anything in particular. I feel like Milwaukee is a better brand overall but thats just based on what I hear from people who is it. I have none. 

3 hours ago, Eric. said:

I own Dewalt, Makita, Bosch, Milwaukee...probably a tool from every major brand.  I don't think there's much difference between them.  Compare similar models and make a decision for each tool based upon their own merits and the cost.  One brand isn't better than another IMO.  You can take a step down and buy Craftsman or Ryobi or Black & Decker, etc...but if you stick with the higher quality brands you'll be fine most of the time.  If you want to experience true quality, drink some green Kool-Aid. :)

As Eric pointed out in another thread, but failed to here, there are different quality tools from the same manufacturer. I know for a fact that the DeWalt tool purchased from the box stores, is of lesser quality than the ones purchased from providers that cater to the professionals. I can only assume that Milwaukee does the same. We went thru a bunch of $$$$ at my company before finding this out.

4 hours ago, Griff said:

I know dewalt carries 20v tools which may be one small advantage over Milwaukee just curious your opinion on dewalt or Milwaukee and why you joined #team dewalt or #teammilwaukee? 

Don't think the 20 V gives any advantage. When Dewalt changed their battery format, the called the new ones 20 V to distinguish them from the older 18 V system to avoid buyer confusion. They run at the same voltage though.

I have all Milwaukee cordless stuff, but guys I know have Dewalt & Makita. They are all good, each have their minor advantages & disadvantages. Ridgid don't seem as good, but they have the lifetime service agreement.

Ryobi & Black & Decker are way down in quality. I wouldn't consider them unless you are just a home handyman type that only needs to drill the occasional hole

I have a bunch of Milwaukee corded tools and love then, especially the routers. One over my corded screwdrivers is over 25 years old and going strong. The only cordless tools I own are 12 volt Dewalts and I really like them. My old Porter Cable tools are good, but the new PC tools feel cheap. I'm kind of pissed at Stanley Tools for messing with the line.

Most of my cordless are DeWalt mainly because I purchased their 18 volt drill 20 years ago and I used it to drive 4 inch bugle screws into roof battens day after day when I was a contractor. Never let me down. The chuck eventually wore its jaws away. The batteries gave me years of service.

With new battery tech and other players becoming prevalent in Australia I ventured into protool and festool which have been very reliable and my go to drills.

My first corded drill was a makita unidrill given to me as a 21st present, then the 750 watt makita... that was 38 years ago. I still own them.

I used a DeWalt cordless drill for a long time, then last year I wanted an impact driver so I picked up one of the Milwaukee kits that had the drill and impact.  It's the M18 non-fuel line.  The Milwaukee makes the Dewalt feel like a plastic toy.  Functionally, they both drill holes, but the Milwaukee just feels so much better in hand.  It feels like quality.

#Both #bought @ #big #box #stores.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

I used a DeWalt cordless drill for a long time, then last year I wanted an impact driver so I picked up one of the Milwaukee kits that had the drill and impact.  It's the M18 non-fuel line.  The Milwaukee makes the Dewalt feel like a plastic toy.  Functionally, they both drill holes, but the Milwaukee just feels so much better in hand.  It feels like quality.

#Both #bought @ #big #box #stores.

I have the same combo and that's really what turned me on to Milwaukee!!! I'm with you it just feels like quality! I'm looking at the Bosch 12v impact I love the way it feels in my hand so I'll be buying that after I get my drill press!

On 7/23/2016 at 4:48 PM, Griff said:

So I must say I'm a huge fan of Milwaukee!! I have lots of different Milwaukee tools and the only issue I've ever had was with the charger that came with my combo drill kit but i returned it and the new one hasn't let me down! I have  both 18v and 12v tools. I know dewalt carries 20v tools which may be one small advantage over Milwaukee just curious your opinion on dewalt or Milwaukee and why you joined #team dewalt or #teammilwaukee? 

Yeah, but their 20v tools are really an 18v battery that says 20v "max" on them.  Pure marketing BS.