do i need to sticker my lumber

byegge

Hi everyone, I just got a delivery of some black cherry that has been sitting in the kiln for about 3 years according to the seller.  She told me that it was on the bottom of the stack and was left in there over the years. It was delivered in bundles of 16 bf each and bound tightly. She told me not to sticker it and leave it bound. That is incorrect as far as i have always known. I live in orlando and it can be quite humid here at time, though its not so bad this time of year. So should i sticker it or not. I plan on leaving it in my car port for the next week or two either way until i can start my project. any input would be great. thanks, Brian.

When you are ready to use the lumber rough cut the pieces to length , lightly dress all sides and sticker it for 2 or 3 days . Then check for warp , twist etc.

Its when you expose fresh wood that the moisture content just may change and the wood react.

Still wouldn't hurt to sticker a bundle and see what it does. Moisture meters are not that expensive, I would get one and use it.

What Mike said.  If the lumber is changing environments (like if it's being shipped from out of state), and you intend to work with it soon, sticker it.  Since it's been in a kiln for a long time and now is being exposed to more humid air, sticker it so it can acclimate to its new environment.  I'd wait a while before working with it...sticker it for a couple weeks, then follow proper milling techniques once you start working with it.  That means milling at least twice, keeping everything stickered throughout the process, and giving the material enough time to adjust.  Patience pays.

• Like 2

When it come to wood I have no self control.I would break open the bundle and eyeball all the boards.I would probably pull one that looks like a odd ball set it aside and wrap the bundle back up.

Then I would face joint and rip the odd ball just to see what I got.And how the wood behaves.

I also think you should just call it Cherry.Black cherry is ice cream :P

Aj

Thanks for the replys . I should note that I am wood came from Ocala , which one about 2 hours from here . So it's the same relative humidity . As far as the species goes, not sure if "black cherry " is a thing or not , but there is really dark grain patterns . Actually very pretty looking boards . I will break the bundles apart tomorrow a sticker it . 

5 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

I wonder if it has been thru so many cycles in the kiln it might have lost any resilience ? Could it be baked to death ? Just wondering, I haven't got a clue what affect that might do to the wood.

If it was a kiln of the heating variety versus the dehumidifier type, I would think that with so many heat cycles,there would have to be some damage at the molecular and strand level.