How to attach a granite top

bbarry9999

It looks like my next project will be buffet table with a granite top for my wife.  I'm still in the design phase - getting concepts from my wife.  The big question I see right from the start is what is the best way to attach the top?   I originally thought an adhesive to the frame work,  I now wonder if a solid or plywood top beneath the granite would be better?  Any ideas or tips as I start on the project?  Any concerns about need extra supports for the weight of the top?

thanks

Bill

Yeah it depends on the size of the piece, but typically youd put some kind of sub top on top of your frame, assuming the granite is getting a dropped edge to hide the sub top. If not, then you can build the sub top inside your frame with cleats or brackets supporting it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Think about using threaded inserts into the underside of the granite. There are specialty epoxies made for granite to hold the insert in place. Standard epoxy may work also. Check with your granite supplier or local monument company for info. 

I worked designing laboratory furniture for a number of years and our rule of thumb for granite was no unsupported span greater than 30"

Have fun and post pix

I'm pretty sure my kitchen island countertop (engineered quartz) is attached to the cabinets below using silicone caulking.

My cabinets do NOT have a full top panel but instead two small (4"?) partial top panel at front and rear of the cabinet - looks like more of a brace/support for the side panels than anything else.

I don't know your design but PERHAPS use silicone to 'attach' plywood strips to the bottom of your granite and then use screws to attach your table base to the plywood (on the bottom of your granite).  You might not need plywood on the entire surface - just to the spots where you want to attach screws from the base.  The screws/playwood would allow easier removal of the granite top if needed.

Show some pictures of your design and your progress.

I agree, we installed granite tops with dabs of adhesive calk in labs all the time. My thinking for home use would be to make the top easily removable. Tables in homes commonly need to be moved and many times the only way to get through a doorway is to tip it on its side. Due to the weight, it would be easier to remove the top. A wood frame glued to the under side of the top, then attached to the apron would work well also.  

The more ideas put out there, during the design phase, the more likely to find what works best for your situation. 

Ya'll are not thinking this through completely. You want to be sure that the fastener chosen will allow the base to travel with the top. Cabinets are typically fastened in place. One of the more awkward things I can imagine is an inexperienced owner down the road walking the top off the base of a table and then being stuck. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, C Shaffer said:

Ya'll are not thinking this through completely. You want to be sure that the fastener chosen will allow the base to travel with the top. Cabinets are typically fastened in place. One of the more awkward things I can imagine is an inexperienced owner down the road walking the top off the base of a table and then being stuck. 

Yeah, it's frustrating. And since granite tops typically overhang. it's also pretty common, because people will lift'em from the top instead of the aprons.

One option is just to leave the granite floating on top of the apron. You can attach wooden blocks to the underside of the granite with epoxy or construction adhesive to lock it in place and keep if from shifting side to side. Once you put the granite on the buffet gravity will keep it firmly in place. We have a piece of antique furniture with a marble top that uses this method. Aside from simplicity this also has the added benefit of making the piece of furniture lighter to move.

I work for a GC and on the job i just finished the cabinet guys refused to make a cabinet wider than 36" without being specifically told to. This was for shelf sag (nice clear maple 3/4 ply) and for the counter top span. I don't know if you have gotten this far in your design but they would make two 24" cabinets and screw them together. These cabinets would have 3"-4" pieces 'framing' the outline of each cabinet with corner supports and then they used ply under the entire top. To attach the top they liquid nailed and used slotted screws to the 'picture framing'. That is a commercial construction example but I have learned the things they do they do to limit their warranty calls.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk