New LN low angle smoother

wouldwurker

Like Eric suggested I have two blades. LN suggested 35 for domestics and 50 for figured for the secondary bevel which makes the effective angles 47 and 62. I have my LAJ at 25 for end grain. 

Are you guys really thinking about specific angles like that? Outside of my shoulder plane, I only have this one and my low angle block, but I just hone the secondary bevel a little higher than the factory grind.

Related topic...I actually went to buy a 4 or a 4.5...but really wanted my thumb and forefinger to be able to turn the adjustment knob while I held it...just out of reach though. Was really awkward to get to the knob...even when i took my hands off the grip. My hands are normal sized, btw...I don't have tiny carney hands :)

Anyone else experience this?

53 minutes ago, vinnyjojo said:

Are you guys really thinking about specific angles like that? Outside of my shoulder plane, I only have this one and my low angle block, but I just hone the secondary bevel a little higher than the factory grind.

Related topic...I actually went to buy a 4 or a 4.5...but really wanted my thumb and forefinger to be able to turn the adjustment knob while I held it...just out of reach though. Was really awkward to get to the knob...even when i took my hands off the grip. My hands are normal sized, btw...I don't have tiny carney hands :)

Anyone else experience this?

I am only processing angles when a re-grind is necessary. Micro bevels by feel are not something I bother with setting an exact angle. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vinnyjojo said:

Are you guys really thinking about specific angles like that?

Sharp trumps angle every time. I only keep track of angle when I am putting the blade in my jig. I don't think about blade angle when using them, and I don't switch blades depending on what I am planing. My planes only have one blade each.

Caveat- I think if you want to take a larger shaving a higher angle might mitigate tear out. This would also make the plane harder to push and the result wouldn't be that much better. And a larger shaving with a smoother isn't something I'd consider wise.

• 1 month later...

I didn't regrind the factory bevel but honed a 38 degree secondary bevel angle (plus the existing plane angle...plus the back bevel angle....so whatever the heck that is....let's say 60.

Night and day on tricky grain and face grain. So much more pleasurable to use.

The low angle is nice...but man...when you catch a bit of funky grain that's coming up at the same angle as your approach, that blade practically turns into a snowshovel. It doesn't tear out...it DIGS out...by the root...and smoothly at that. That would be the major drawback.

On 14/3/2017 at 2:36 AM, vinnyjojo said:

The low angle is nice...but man...when you catch a bit of funky grain that's coming up at the same angle as your approach, that blade practically turns into a snowshovel. It doesn't tear out...it DIGS out...by the root...and smoothly at that. That would be the major drawback.

That's the reason I stopped using my LN LAJ, unpredictability, at least on the hardwoods I work with. I know I can regrind the angle or buy a higher angle blade for it, but I favored my standard planes instead. I feel more confident working with them and I always get good results.

I now have a toothed blade installed on my LAJ and use it for heavy stock removal only.

For smoothing with a BU plane, use a 50 degree secondary bevel. This will take care of any potential tearout.

Note that a 35 degree secondary bevel creates a common cutting angle - no different from a basic Stanley #4.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Might be the same angle, but the bevel up v. bevel down is very very different.