Where to buy router bits

Jasahan

K, so thanks to everyone that helped with my recent router purchase (Porter-Cable 7539; not arrived yet). Now I need to know a good source for bits. We have mostly 1/4" shank bits, because we had a 1/4" collet router. But the PC is a 1/2" collet. We have a couple 1/2" bits that were donated, so I have a few things to start with.

Specifically I'm looking for a "wing-cutter" (guess that's what it's called; i called it a rabbeting bit because that's what I used it for). Preferably 1/2" or more, if they make them, and if that's not insane to use on a 3HP router. But also, I'd just like a good source to browse through.

Also, I'm aware that I can get a smaller collet, but the associate at Rockler I talked with recommended against that, because he said the 1/4" shanks aren't made for that much torque.

Woodcraft sells Whiteside bits.  Find the Whiteside website, and they have a pdf of their whole lineup.  They also make the better quality bits sold by Eagle America.  If you can't find exactly what you need, Whiteside can custom make anything you dream up.  If you find exactly the bit you need in the Whiteside catalog, a Google search with the part number sometimes finds a good buy.  I stick with Whiteside, but Amana bits are good too.  Whiteside also has a quick turnaround sharpening service.

• Like 2

Also you may want a couple of real 1-1/8" wrenches to use instead of the stamped metal ones that come with the router. Or just get a Musclechuck. These routers used to come with both colletts.

Why is that? I've not received the router yet, so I don't know what the issue is.

From the PC 7539 manual "Collets are available that will allow the use of bits having 1/4" or 3/8" diameter 
shanks."
So PC says you can use 1/4 shanks, you can use the speed control to slow it down.

I like Rockler (if i don't think I'm going to use the bit a lot, they don't stay sharp as long as others) and Freud bits from Rockler and Whiteside bits are also great from Highland Woodworking or Amazon.

Why is that? I've not received the router yet, so I don't know what the issue is.

The stamped wrenches work fine-just a little hard on the hands.  I just like the bigger wrenches so I can be sure that the collet is nice and tight with less effort.  I buy cheap dedicated wrenches for almost everything.  I have blade changing wrenches hanging on any stationary tool that uses a wrench to change the blade, and wrenches in the different router toolboxes.

• Like 1

I buy cheap dedicated wrenches for almost everything.  I have blade changing wrenches hanging on any stationary tool that uses a wrench to change the blade, and wrenches in the different router toolboxes.

I do the same thing. Finally got my 1 1/8's yesterday, so I am all caught up.  

Whiteside and Freud are good bits. I have used (2) 1/4" wing cutters on a 1/2" shank bit with a bearing to cut a 1/2" slot. You might need a thin washer between the cutters to achieve a full 1/2" slot. If you buy the right set you can get several cutters , an arbor and possibly a few bearings which can be combined to make multiple widths and depths of slots.

The stamped wrenches work fine-just a little hard on the hands. I just like the bigger wrenches so I can be sure that the collet is nice and tight with less effort. I buy cheap dedicated wrenches for almost everything. I have blade changing wrenches hanging on any stationary tool that uses a wrench to change the blade, and wrenches in the different router toolboxes.

Thanks for that.

Also you may want a couple of real 1-1/8" wrenches to use instead of the stamped metal ones that come with the router. Or just get a Musclechuck. These routers used to come with both colletts.

Easy big fella! Real 1 1/8" wrenches are like 16" long or so. You can easily F up some fine threads on router collets. In fact we had to label our wrenches "do not use on routers". Tight enough is tight enough. Too tight is dangerous. Use common sense and it will be fine.

I agree on whiteside. Fine product!

Steve

Easy big fella! Real 1 1/8" wrenches are like 16" long or so. You can easily F up some fine threads on router collets. In fact we had to label our wrenches "do not use on routers". Tight enough is tight enough. Too tight is dangerous. Use common sense and it will be fine.

I agree on whiteside. Fine product!

Steve

Nobody but me uses them, and have for years. I don't remember ever stripping the threads on anything.  Both my helpers are powerlifters.  They know not to without me ever having to say anything.  The frontend loader on my tractor is held on by grade 8 bolts with 1-1/8" heads.  I use the same brand wrenches for that, which stays in the toolbox on the tractor, as for the PC routers.  Those bolts loosen about once a year.  I use my foot for final tightening on those.  It's not the wrench, but the hand (or foot) using it. I have a working mans hands, but the real wrenches are still much more comfortable.

my new router just landed this past weekend, so this thread is perfectly timed.  :)

Any suggestions on Plywood bits? I'm assuming same brands as listed above are the places to start? I'm hoping to do some dados in ply for a couple upcoming projects. 

my new router just landed this past weekend, so this thread is perfectly timed.  :)

Any suggestions on Plywood bits? I'm assuming same brands as listed above are the places to start? I'm hoping to do some dados in ply for a couple upcoming projects. 

If you are talking about "Undersized Plywood bits", I got the Rockler set, good price and they work fine,

http://www.rockler.com/undersized-plywood-router-bit-set

my new router just landed this past weekend, so this thread is perfectly timed. :)

What did you get? And why, if you don't mind?

If you are talking about "Undersized Plywood bits", I got the Rockler set, good price and they work fine,

http://www.rockler.com/undersized-plywood-router-bit-set

That's exactly what I'm talking about. I read some folks didn't think the Rockler bits lasted quite as long as they should. They've got a kit of those bits I see. Was looking there before seeing some of these other names. I'll probably just go that route since they won't be getting heavy use. 

What did you get? And why, if you don't mind?

Jasahan, I got the bosch kit (MRC23EVSK - actually the refurbished version from CPO tools) so I could have plunge and fixed. It's my first router, so I bought it after lots of research and reviews. Looks like enough power (2.3hp) for most of what I'll use it for. I don't need anything dedicated for a table, just need solid general performance. I'm just getting started, so my opinion on it means nadda at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to find a certain bit, and I don't know if it's even possible for it to exist.

A pattern bit (bearing at the top), 1/2" shank, and less than a 1/2" cutting diameter.  Length, 1 1/4", but doesn't have to be exactly that.  I'm trying to cut through 3/4" laminate counter top.  Have been doing it with 2 passes with a smaller bit on a smaller router.  But now that we have the 3HP, we are trying to do it in one pass, but the only bit for what we needed was pretty big (pretty sure it was 3/4 diameter, but it might be 1/2"; i haven't personally used it).  It was a Rockler brand because I needed it that day.  So now I'm trying to look through the sites you all suggested.  Anyway, the bit seems to be dulled out (again, I'm not personally using it, so I can't guarantee that's the case) even after cleaning it.  We are no pros at sharpening, so I'm also ordering some sharpeners mentioned in this article: http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/careandsharpeningofrouterbits.aspx

Anyway, so is it not possible (or structurally stable) to make a pattern bit whose cutting diameter is smaller than its shank?