Future walnut boards?

estesbubba

The clear ones will go straight to the veneer slicer, shipped to China, turned into IKEA garbage, and sold back to us.  Next step down will be turned into lumber, over-graded, and sold to us at ridiculously inflated prices.  Because we'll pay whatever they ask for walnut.  It's walnut...we must have it! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

There is a company that bought about 1500 acres of hill side ground just north of me. They planted the whole thing with walnut trees. Most of them are about 6-7 feet tall now. Hell of a future investment. Too bad I'll be long gone before thy are mature enough to harvest. :(

They probably won't harvest the lumber until they quit bearing walnuts.

There's an old boy out by me who has three piles 15 feet high of walnut chopped all to heck he uses to sell fire wood.

I stopped by one day and apparently he has some property up north with a few hundred acres of walnut trees that were planted 1920's and quit bearing nuts some decades ago. .

All those trees just standing there waiting to eventually be split up. He wouldn't tell me what he yields from a decent tree. I was hoping to make him an offer but he didn't seem too open to it m

It bums me out every time I pass those piles. .

Mike, I think what you need to do is pull a Fast and Furious on that truck and hijack the contents. Just kidding, though it would be kind of funny. 

There's an old boy out by me who has three piles 15 feet high of walnut chopped all to heck he uses to sell fire wood.

I stopped by one day and apparently he has some property up north with a few hundred acres of walnut trees that were planted 1920's and quit bearing nuts some decades ago. .

All those trees just standing there waiting to eventually be split up. He wouldn't tell me what he yields from a decent tree. I was hoping to make him an offer but he didn't seem too open to it m

It bums me out every time I pass those piles. .

Last year when I bought my firewood there were about 15 or so pieces of split walnut. I cut what I could into 18" boards and made some pen blanks and usable lumber for small projects and boxes. I contacted a few people around here that log trees for lumber and sell it. Their thoughts on materials was horrifying. We split oak and sell as firewood, sell the walnut, osage orange, and cherry to hardwood dealers, we shred maple into mulch. I can see splitting and selling oak as firewood, but maple being shredded made me sad, since it's my favorite wood to work with.

I'm not a fan of oak, because I've seen it used soooo much, but I guess the same goes for maple. I've shifted my favorite wood species from maple to cherry. Walnut would be nice, but it's just too darn expensive for me now... :(

Cherry is nice to work with, however it can get pretty pricey as well. I scored some cherry and black walnut for $2 a board ft, and only picked up 150 feet combined. Didn't have the room or funds at that moment to buy too much more as I had just bought some tools. I really don't like oak, it's hard, it splinters, and generally is very boring. 

I find maple to be the easiest and most forgiving to work with. Also, the variety of maple makes it real interesting and unique.

Yep, x100000

Even though I obviously wasn't born then, oak in houses built or remodeled around then are just like walking into a oak museum.

My parents want me to build their kitchen cabinets out of oak. With everyone's favorite "Golden Oak" finish. I keep pushing for either maple or cherry, I've been met with a large amount of resistance. Maybe I can convince them to go QSWO

My parents want me to build their kitchen cabinets out of oak. With everyone's favorite "Golden Oak" finish. I keep pushing for either maple or cherry, I've been met with a large amount of resistance. Maybe I can convince them to go QSWO

Go with the red oak. Before you apply finish, mix some Plaster of Paris with some RiT dye, maybe fire engine red, or bright yellow. Use that as a pore filler (it actually works quite well).

Every time they see those cabinets looking as if they are permanently on fire, they'll wish they had gone with cherry.