Spending Money

Tony Wilkins

$125 cash from Christmas...

Thinking:

Pine ridge Forge Sljod knife

Veritas double arm mortise gauge

Various books or videos (eg bickford molding dvd, charlesworth double blind dvd, krenov book)

High grit sharpening stone to replace king 6000

1.5 inch blue spruce bench chisel

LN small router plane

Whatdya think

Open to suggestions

I don't have anything as fancy as most of the stuff on that list.  A small router plane is handy once in a while.  I've never needed a fancy one.

Here would be a good way to spend $76.76 of it, but you'll have to wait another week to order it.  http://www.toolsfromjapan.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=335_404_637&products_id=2199  You would never need to buy another stone around this grit.  You can spend a lot more money for an 8,000 or 10,000 stone, but double the money will get you not much better.  5 or 6 strokes on one of my 01 blades, and I'm done with that.  It'll get an edge a little bit sharper than regular razor sharp.

Without hollow and round planes, it won't do you much good to know how to make moldings with hand planes.  If you have the planes, it's almost obvious.  You just hog off as much of the material outside the profile with rabbets one way or another, and use the planes to finish the shapes.  I bought the Krenov books back whenever they were first published.  They were fun reading, but I can't say they were beneficial in learning how to do something.  I know nothing at all about the other one.

What are you hoping to accomplish with the tools on your list? Do you have a project in mind, are you filling in gaps on a list of some sort?

There's no particular immediate need attached to any of them. I can see a use for each - like using the sloyd knife to deepened the occasional line and taper and shape pegs.

Speaking of lists I need to go back to the anarchist tool chest and see if I have any gaps.

ETA the ATC list yielded panel gauge and Warrington hammer.

If you have the planes, it's almost obvious. You just hog off as much of the material outside the profile with rabbets one way or another, and use the planes to finish the shapes. I bought the Krenov books back whenever they were first published. They were fun reading, but I can't say they were beneficial in learning how to do something. I know nothing at all about the other one.

From someone who completed the ATC tool "list" over the past 4 years (I even own an engraved jack plane)... my 2 cents.

I just sold the Bickford book, and own a half set of hollows and rounds. I agree, you can easily sketch what you want and then do some basic geometry. Rabbet plane to rough out, then moulding planes. If you don't own moulding planes, its more useful to just buy some and see what you can do with them along with a rabbet or shoulder plane.

The small router plane is useful for hinge mortising and lock sets.... but thats all I've used it for.

I owned the nice Hamilton panel gauge... but I found I prefer a T-square like the Woodpeckers TS-24-2. And for large heavy timber, I prefer a square and a chalk line. A panel gauge just never really functioned for me that well.

If I had mad money, I'd buy the Bridge City book or that Woodpeckers T-square.

If you're just looking at a general list without a project in mind, I think that the marking gauge stands out. I have two now and will likely get the one you mentioned as well this year. They're so handy to have set up for different operations. Many of the other items are cool - and possibly useful - but seem to demand an immediate task. For example I may go the rest of my life without owning a chisel over 1" and the small router plane has never entered my mind as a consideration. So something that I could see using on every project seems very enticing. 

I hope y'all know I wouldn't waste my money on that crap. I like a good craft brew, and I'll even go slummin' with a Miller High Life now and then, but a 100 dollar bottle of beer? The hipsters can have it.

I'd like to say I wouldn't try it. I won't seek it out, but if it presents itself all bets are off :) You're welcome to stop by, I'll get you some highlife ;)