I too am building a Roubo

FtrPilot

After spending hours planing by hand, I wouldn't be able to lift a board onto the planer, much less a bench top slab.

I was just reading this update and remembering how tired and sore I got while building my bench. I jointed everything by hand because I have no power jointer. I was able to run the slabs through my thickness planer, but I still did all the final flattening across the two slabs by hand.

At the time it was both agonizing and an incredible learning experience. Let me tell you, I can now sharpen plane irons and flatten boards like nobody's business! But damn, those slabs are some tough lifting by yourself!

• Like 1

To all...thanks for the comments, suggestions, and encouragement. 

When I started my Roubo, several months ago, I had no idea on how I would flatten the slabs, other than I had watched Marc's video on flattening with a router. But by reading previous Roubo journals like Gary's; participating in the other in-progress Roubo journals; like Josh's, xxdabroxx's, Greenaqua's, and estesbubba's; and keeping my own Roubo journal, I have learned a lot about woodworking in general and hand tools in particular.  So, flattening by hand plane became the solution.

... I was able to run the slabs through my thickness planer, but I still did all the final flattening across the two slabs by hand.

At the time it was both agonizing and an incredible learning experience. Let me tell you, I can now sharpen plane irons and flatten boards like nobody's business! But damn, those slabs are some tough lifting by yourself!

It continues to be an "incredible learning experience". 

I am not lifting the slabs by myself.  My mentor (Bob) will help.

Stay tuned.........

To all...thanks for the comments, suggestions, and encouragement. 

When I started my Roubo, several months ago, I had no idea on how I would flatten the slabs, other than I had watched Marc's video on flattening with a router. But by reading previous Roubo journals like Gary's; participating in the other in-progress Roubo journals; like Josh's, xxdabroxx's, Greenaqua's, and estesbubba's; and keeping my own Roubo journal, I have learned a lot about woodworking in general and hand tools in particular.  So, flattening by hand plane became the solution.

It continues to be an "incredible learning experience". 

I am not lifting the slabs by myself.  My mentor (Bob) will help.

Stay tuned.........

My benchtop doesn't get moved while I'm alone either.  I have to wait for a helper.  I've got it in a pretty good spot for now though.  If I really have to move it solo I use a couple of furniture dollies to roll it around, but it sure is easier with two extra hands. 

Today, I put the front slab through my Steel City Bench Top Thickness Planer.  The planer handled the slab easily.  Overall, I am very happy.  Here's some pics:

post-17084-0-52381000-1431644721.jpg

post-17084-0-00158100-1431644740.jpg

post-17084-0-49982900-1431644752.jpg

Right now, the front slab is 4 1/4" thick, which gives me 1/4" of margin for matching with the back slab and final flattening of the bench top.  My goal is a 4" thick bench top at completion.

post-17084-0-52381000-1431644721_thumb.j

post-17084-0-00158100-1431644740_thumb.j

post-17084-0-49982900-1431644752_thumb.j

• Like 1

I would be less worried about the planer than that shop vac's ability to pull enough chips to clear them. Next up- back slab?

The shop vac actually does a good job...just gotta empty it a lot.

Right now, I plan to fully finish the front slab including:  Tail vise, Condor Tails, End Cap, and Dog Holes.

This will give me a little break before more hand planing....

Subject to change...

Wax wax wax that plane bottom! Sometimes the wax seems to help more than being freshly sharpened.

I waxed the #7 this morning, using Renaissance wax, and made 2 more passes down the slab.  I cannot believe the difference the wax made.  Thanks for the suggestion...now in my bag of tricks.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012S1XBO/?tag=mh0b-20&hvadid=174969374&hvqmt=p&hvbmt=bp&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_781m9lrpp9_p

I waxed the #7 this morning, using Renaissance wax, and made 2 more passes down the slab.  I cannot believe the difference the wax made.  Thanks for the suggestion...now in my bag of tricks.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012S1XBO/?tag=mh0b-20&hvadid=174969374&hvqmt=p&hvbmt=bp&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_781m9lrpp9_p

I also use a short can with a piece of t-shirt rolled up in it with mineral oil on it.  Seems to work about equally well to wax in my experience.  I've use Johnson's paste wax and some old paraffin.  The johnsons seems to work a bit better than the paraffin, with the oil being equal to the johnsons.  That being said, the paraffin is about the most convenient as it doesn't make a mess or necessitate opening a can to apply.  

It's a lot easier to throw a plane around with some lube on it isn't it.  Then go back and sharpen, then lube and wow.  tumblr_inline_nj3t4kJmt31qknsa6.jpg

I also use a short can with a piece of t-shirt rolled up in it with mineral oil on it. Seems to work about equally well to wax in my experience. I've use Johnson's paste wax and some old paraffin. The johnsons seems to work a bit better than the paraffin, with the oil being equal to the johnsons. That being said, the paraffin is about the most convenient as it doesn't make a mess or necessitate opening a can to apply.

We are talking ease of use, not storage. I would not oil a plane sole while in use.

We are talking ease of use, not storage. I would not oil a plane sole while in use.

I'm not sure how wax would be any different than oil neither will take a finish.  Paul Sellers is where I got the oil idea from and he's been doing this a whole lot longer than I have.  YMMV

Coming along nicely! You doing ALL this with hand tools?

Power tools mostly...  Flatten the tops with hand plane and square all mortises with chisels.

Awesome!  Take your time on those..  Seems to be the first thing people notice  ;)   Always amazes me when people over look a grand worth of vise hardware and oogle over the condor tails ;)

I have read Jameel's article (several times) and plan to use his techniques.  I also plan to practice and will take pictures of the practice and post them, as well.  I will take my time...thanks for the sage advice.

Awesome! Take your time on those.. Seems to be the first thing people notice ;) Always amazes me when people over look a grand worth of vise hardware and oogle over the condor tails ;)

ain't that the truth. Spend a few weeks on a beautiful box and it's the "pretty key" that gets complimented first.

Today, I cut the front slab tenon...

post-17084-0-96484700-1431813004.jpg

Then I built a jig for routing the dog holes...I am not going with the Benchcrafted dog hole design.

Here's the jig:

post-17084-0-38603200-1431812936.jpg

Dog hole 1 finished being routed.

post-17084-0-08561400-1431812979.jpg

Dog holes are perpendicular to the bench top. :)

post-17084-0-07058600-1431813029.jpg

Tomorrow, I will finish routing the dog holes.

I won't have access to a band saw for a couple of days, so the Condor Tails will be done later.

post-17084-0-38603200-1431812936_thumb.j

post-17084-0-08561400-1431812979_thumb.j

post-17084-0-96484700-1431813004_thumb.j

post-17084-0-07058600-1431813029_thumb.j