Tool complaints and random calamity

Cliff

Quite a day I'm having. 

First, a Starrett 4" square came in the mail new from amazon. $77. After a few minutes of using it its clear that it absolutely will not tighten down. Making it entirely useless. I don't know what one would call that.. Infinitely Adjustable? So that's going back, which makes the 5th package of returned to amazon in the past month. Two of them being wrong tool/broken tool.

Then I close down the garage so I can shower up to go see Ant-Man as any normal adult male should.. hit the button for the garage door and walk away. I hear a small clatter as something falls. Oh well, who knows. Then a bigger clatter. Then it sounds like someone is driving a truck through my garage and the door bulges outward like it's pregnant. A few inches from the ground it starts back up, having finally detected an anomaly. Things continue to fall over.

When it's finally up, I see my table saw lying on it's front, the glued/clamped panel lying next to it, a chair, the spindle sander and stand and everything that was on those two surfaces. Apparently, in my infinite stupidity, I had brought the panel up on it's side and the 4' parallel clamps were touching the garage door up above. So of course when it started down it brought it with, tipping it over and bringing it off the outfeed table, where another clamp hooked the edge of the table saw and tipped it over and then everything else came for the ride.

It was by far the most gentle destruction I've seen. nothing is messed up as far as I can tell. Here is a pic from when I was halfway done cleaning up. I learned that I'm super glad I always cut the power to the garage so the table saw can't turn on during something like that. And I learned that I can lift my table saw alone back on it's feet.

Oh and that screw case thing on top of the table saw back just magically landed there as well. 

post-17490-0-59653800-1437251270_thumb.j

Spent the afternoon breaking down 8/4 stock on the table saw. Used the shop vac for dust collection as usual.

Turns out my wife bought a new filter for the shop vac and installed it herself. Never put on the screw cap that holds on the filter.

EVERY bit of dust from the table saw went right out the discharge of the vac.

Every square inch of the garage and everything in it is covered is sapele dust.

• Like 2

Thanks Cliff, for making me feel better about myself today.  Partially because I didn't tip over my table saw, but mostly because of Ant Man.  I'll be going to Minions on Tuesday, but I have two excuses...one five and one three.  You have no excuses. :D

• Like 1

Superhero movies are the only reason I leave the house! Well except for work and the comic shop.

If I had kids woodworking would die in my life, and I bet I would have to stop comic too. Oh man I can't imagine

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Thanks Cliff, for making me feel better about myself today. Partially because I didn't tip over my table saw, but mostly because of Ant Man. I'll be going to Minions on Tuesday, but I have two excuses...one five and one three. You have no excuses. :D

If you take kids, Minions is worth it. They will laugh at all the wrong spots and look at you weird while you are laughing. Sorry OP!!! Not every day will be like this.

Thanks Cliff, for making me feel better about myself today.  Partially because I didn't tip over my table saw, but mostly because of Ant Man.  I'll be going to Minions on Tuesday, but I have two excuses...one five and one three.  You have no excuses. :D

It's also probably worth noting that I'm a 36 year old man-child. I have Batman shelves in my office full of statues, and framed comics, etc. I have no intention of ever being a real adult because it just seems so annoying to me!