"Shed" build

shaneymack

This is Canada. We have keys to each others houses, take care of each others dogs, mow each others lawns. I rarely lock my house doors and never lock my cars doors. I actually leave my keys in my pick up...

Im sure this is similar in smaller towns in the u.s as well?

Not any more!  We can't seem to figure out who the enemy is any more.. So we don't take chances!

If by "area" you mean America...yes. Lots of criminals, broke people, psychos and morons...Add about a half billion guns and you have chaos stew. You can usually avoid trouble if you mind your own business, but craziness is all around. But it's a great place to live! LOL

If by "area" you mean America...yes. Lots of criminals, broke people, psychos and morons...Add about a half billion guns and you have chaos stew. You can usually avoid trouble if you mind your own business, but craziness is all around. But it's a great place to live! LOL

Sounds great.
  • Like 1

I live in rural Kansas and I lived like "shaneymack" does until about 1995 and then things started changing.

Even in a small town, the meth labs, home burglaries, random shootings and mental cases started taking over.

I easily remember never locking the house or taking the keys out of the car and if the kids were out of sight, it was no problem because they were just around the corner at a friends house.

IT AIN'T THAT WAY ANYMOORE! :(

Rog

Here in a smallish town in IL.. 35k people - you can mostly leave your doors unlocked. But I really think it's just a matter of potential thieves can't check every house so the sheer number means you are probably ok. There was a rash of garage break-ins last year that turned out to be people not locking up and a couple of kids were roaming around robbing them. It's mostly a safe town but not as much as it was 20+ years ago when I was growing up here. It was very much like you described, my mom left car keys in the van all the time and never locked the doors.

The weird thing is that crime has dramatically dropped in America since 1991, but paranoia is up around 8 billion percent.

I live in rural Kansas and I lived like "shaneymack" does until about 1995 and then things started changing.

Even in a small town, the meth labs, home burglaries, random shootings and mental cases started taking over.

I easily remember never locking the house or taking the keys out of the car and if the kids were out of sight, it was no problem because they were just around the corner at a friends house.

IT AIN'T THAT WAY ANYMOORE! :(

Rog

Thats depressing Rog. Seriously depressing.

im hoping to build some shelves and a small workbench for tuning my compound bow.

If you're making a draw board, consider a removable one. I've got my winch and hangar bolt on one 7' board that bolts to the front of my bench. My bow press also uses the same holes which is quite convenient.

If you're making a draw board, consider a removable one. I've got my winch and hangar bolt on one 7' board that bolts to the front of my bench. My bow press also uses the same holes which is quite convenient.

If i knew what a draw board was maybe i would build one lol. I was just thinking of making a small area to setup my bow vice and press and have all my bow tuning gear. Would be nice to have a dedicated spot to mess around with our bows other than my shop. I have a 45 meter shooting range in the back yard and the shed is just next to it.

It's still small town-ish in Wyoming Shane.

My house is unlocked, keys are in the car and the truck, we look after each others pets, and water the garden if our neighbors are out of town.

Kids leave their bikes by the side of the road all day while they are at school.

A couple of folks store their boats in the barn during winter, we jump start each others vehicles, pull each other out of the snow banks, share some venison during hunting season, and most importantly I'm invited to fish the streams on the neighbor's property.

But I can assure you that it is not Mayberry RFD.

There is a modicum of crime.

Most households have firearms just because we can, and that may reduce home invasion and theft.

There is the occasional rash of auto burglaries, a drunk might walk into your house and plop down on your couch in his or her confusion, lots of drunks driving, a plethora of drugs including cocaine and heroin, domestic violence in all its bizarre varieties...

You know, all the usual stuff...but considerably less than most places in the US.

It's still small town-ish in Wyoming Shane.

My house is unlocked, keys are in the car and the truck, we look after each others pets, and water the garden if our neighbors are out of town.

Kids leave their bikes by the side of the road all day while they are at school.

A couple of folks store their boats in the barn during winter, we jump start each others vehicles, pull each other out of the snow banks, share some venison during hunting season, and most importantly I'm invited to fish the streams on the neighbor's property.

But I can assure you that it is not Mayberry RFD.

There is a modicum of crime.

Most households have firearms just because we can, and that may reduce home invasion and theft.

There is the occasional rash of auto burglaries, a drunk might walk into your house and plop down on your couch in his or her confusion, lots of drunks driving, a plethora of drugs including cocaine and heroin, domestic violence in all its bizarre varieties...

You know, all the usual stuff...but considerably less than most places in the US.

Sounds like a nice place to live. Whats the population Dave?

10,000 in Jackson, 200 in Wilson where I live just on the other side of the Snake River.

There are less than half a million residents in the state of Wyoming.

One thing I forgot to mention is that my shop remains unlocked unless I'm out of town for a week or two.

Sometimes people steal tools but it's not common that they pull up to your shop and empty the contents.

More often it's a jobsite theft and even then it's mostly an inside job.

If i knew what a draw board was maybe i would build one lol. I was just thinking of making a small area to setup my bow vice and press and have all my bow tuning gear. Would be nice to have a dedicated spot to mess around with our bows other than my shop. I have a 45 meter shooting range in the back yard and the shed is just next to it.

A draw board is an essential tool for tuning wheel bows. It holds your riser torque free to allow you to perfectly set the height on your rest/drop away, time your release, adjust the timing of your draw stops hitting your limb or strings.

Mine is integrated into my ammo reloading/ bow tuning bench.

Here is mine in action setting up my elite e32

post-16319-0-01902600-1437934413_thumb.j

A draw board is an essential tool for tuning wheel bows. It holds your riser torque free to allow you to perfectly set the height on your rest/drop away, time your release, adjust the timing of your draw stops hitting your limb or strings.

Mine is integrated into my ammo reloading/ bow tuning bench.

Here is mine in action setting up my elite e32

Elite 32 nice. I have an apa mamba 34. Love it. If you end up coming to mtl you need to bring it! We can shoot at my place. I have an couple bags and a rinehart 18 in 1 and a big mule deer.

My bow is a double cam would i still need one of those doo hickeys? I changed the strings and set everything up and never used one. I set it up with my friend who has been shooting for 20yrs and he never mentioned it.

Definitely. The e32 is my hunting rig. I've got four or five rigs for various stuff.

I guess using the word essential May have been a bit unrealistic. It is a very helpful tool to set your bow up to the best it can be.

I'll liken it to measuring small things with a ruler vs a set of calipers. This just takes you to the next level. There are also some parts of tuning like twisting/ un twisting cables that affect a lot of other things. The draw board lets you set your perfect let off and holding weight where as without one, once you tune it up, your stuck with whatever draw cycle you come up with.

Definitely. The e32 is my hunting rig. I've got four or five rigs for various stuff.

I guess using the word essential May have been a bit unrealistic. It is a very helpful tool to set your bow up to the best it can be.

I'll liken it to measuring small things with a ruler vs a set of calipers. This just takes you to the next level. There are also some parts of tuning like twisting/ un twisting cables that affect a lot of other things. The draw board lets you set your perfect let off and holding weight where as without one, once you tune it up, your stuck with whatever draw cycle you come up with.

THANKS ALOT BRENDON!! Now i have another thing to build on my to do list. Ive been so focused on my shop and woodworking that i haven't messed with my bow this summer. I gotta get out there. I love shooting. So much fun. I guess i will be pming you with questions about archery....

Sure man. I've been a bow tech for 10 years. Happy to help.

Thats really good to know! I learnt how to shoot on archerytalk and posting pics of my stance at full draw. Yup, one of those guys....lol. Not alot of options around here. The guys at the store didnt seem to know that much, so to the internet i went. I have only been shooting since last year. Thought it looked amazing and bought my son and i equipment. We did a 3d tournament in Ontario and did pretty good. We both really love it.