"Shed" build

shaneymack

Drywall, the bane of my existence now! Nailed drywall starting in 1963 after school and on weekends. nailed pretty much full time for 20 years! Now both of my shoulders have been operated on and my neck pops like a popcorn popper! Did enjoy it for the most part but body started wearing out. Decided to get out and find an "easier" profession so I started logging!

Man thats rough. Definitely respect the guys that do that all day long. I wouldn't want to do it though.
  • Like 1

I looked forward to snip snip day for 13 months while deployed. Dr couldn't get me in until a week after getting home. 3 months later, we found out it was about 6 days too late..

The procedure was a snap. I watched the whole time. I don't know how many bags of frozen peas I went through but they didn't help. That was a pain one does not get accustomed to.

• Like 2

Drywall, the bane of my existence now! Nailed drywall starting in 1963 after school and on weekends. nailed pretty much full time for 20 years! Now both of my shoulders have been operated on and my neck pops like a popcorn popper! Did enjoy it for the most part but body started wearing out. Decided to get out and find an "easier" profession so I started logging!

All mine was screwed, I've seen old guys that could nail a sheet off faster than I could with a screw gun! I liked hanging board, but I didn't care for hanging lids, always hurt my head, and it caused the bald spot, at least that's what I blame it on! I hated hanging the exterior stuff, dens-glass, the yellow stuff. Fiberglass mat front and back, man it would tear you up if you weren't covered in baby powder!

The verdict is out.

This sucks;

post-16857-143759960719_thumb.jpg

This is awesome;

post-16857-143759961999_thumb.jpg

I thought i was all hardcore doing the shingles by hand. After an hour and 3 rows done i realised i was nothing but an idiot on a roof. One of my neighbours to the rescue with his nail gun and nails.

45 mins later;

post-16857-143759969955_thumb.jpg

Front half done. Starting back.

I just did my house roof a few weeks ago, it only took a couple hours before I realized the same thing you did... Now I have to sell it to recoup some of the money

I had sent my wife to go and rent one for me. When she left my neighbour drops by and says he has one. My wife was already on her way back with it. She had to turn around and bring it back. Saved a few bucks. You weren't able to rent one?

I had sent my wife to go and rent one for me. When she left my neighbour drops by and says he has one. My wife was already on her way back with it. She had to turn around and bring it back. Saved a few bucks. You weren't able to rent one?

for the amount to rent one for I week I figured I'd be better off to just buy one, maybe not, but I have a guy that wants to buy it so I'll get the majority of the money back.
  • Like 1

All mine was screwed, I've seen old guys that could nail a sheet off faster than I could with a screw gun! I liked hanging board, but I didn't care for hanging lids, always hurt my head, and it caused the bald spot, at least that's what I blame it on! I hated hanging the exterior stuff, dens-glass, the yellow stuff. Fiberglass mat front and back, man it would tear you up if you weren't covered in baby powder!

Must say I was a pretty quick nailer in my day! They were just starting to glue and screw when I got out of it. Never got into any of the modern drywall except some greenboard and of course did a lot of 5/8 for firewalls etc. I still have lumps and bumps all over my bald head from the lids. My old partner and I usually could start and finish the average 1600' house in a day. Back then it was all tract houses. 

Im done for the day. Got the front door in. Atleast i can start putting some stuff in it. Like all the kids stuff that i need to move out of my shop everytime i work. Tomorrow i will put the garage door in and see what i can empty out of the shop in terms of wood and plywood lying around.

post-16857-143760943074_thumb.jpg

It was a good day. Very productive. Now im tired.

I just did my house roof a few weeks ago, it only took a couple hours before I realized the same thing you did... Now I have to sell the nail gun to recoup some of the money

Me and my neighbor did the roofs on our houses about ten years back and we did the same thing.  Bought a nail gun and a small compressor because he didn't have a compressor and I wasn't going to un-plump mine to take over to his house.  We finished both houses in about ten days cleaned up the tools with Amour All and sold it for bought half of the original price turned out cheaper then renting for the same period.

What happened Shane? Did a freak snow storm come up? I figured we would have seen the completed shed full of the kids toys and some extra woodworking equipment already.

Thanks for asking. I got the garage door in, which was a serious pain in the butt. I moved a bunch of stuff in there the other day. im on vacation so ive been busy doing things with the family. im hoping to build some shelves and a small workbench for tuning my compound bow. i also have the siding to do. i will do this after my vacation and post a few completed pics. I really just wanted to get it functional asap because alot of my stuff was being stored in my neighbours garage and i told him id get it out during my vacation.

What a wonderous land you live in where you can store stuff in your neighbors garage. I don't even know my neighbors. I refer to one as "shirtless guy."

This is Canada. We have keys to each others houses, take care of each others dogs, mow each others lawns. I rarely lock my house doors and never lock my cars doors. I actually leave my keys in my pick up...

Im sure this is similar in smaller towns in the u.s as well?