A Bunch O' Boxes

wtnhighlander

Thanks Coop! I was trying to do exactly a you described, and have done boxes that way before. Its the walnut 'straps' that keep throwing me off...and me not paying close attention to how the box rides along the fence. By the way, the view is from a cabin overlooking Pigeon Forge TN. Gonna hate to go home!

Thanks Coop! I was trying to do exactly a you described, and have done boxes that way before. Its the walnut 'straps' that keep throwing me off...and me not paying close attention to how the box rides along the fence. By the way, the view is from a cabin overlooking Pigeon Forge TN. Gonna hate to go home!

Always good to see a "feet up" shot.

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of "life" has been slowing down progress on these boxes, but here is a quick update. The pine box has a lift tab added to the lid, and 5 coats of danish oil. afa5af2b078019d4a3215b2d1c735b82.jpga59f9501c24af19811d747df6f257c00.jpg4e7044b4574a34c207e671afb0e3b830.jpg The cherry box has some inlay on top, and a couple coats of danish oil. 4757310113e6ba7a8ae8bf53c2c6af76.jpg51f9828e4a9d3e3b1f3d8fbd9fb9ed71.jpg The pine box is finished, and I'm working on linings for both. I want to add some shellac on the cherry box, mostly to help seal over the inlay, but for a bit of sheen as well. Any suggestions on how long to let the DO cure before top-coating?

Ya just can't help yourself can you Ross?  You just gotta keep knocking it outa the park!  Ya done very good young'un!

Love the hummingbird on the cherry box.  Well done Ross!

Give the DO at least a week to be safe.  DO can take a while to cure, depending upon number and thickness of coats.  Since you're top-coating with shellac you're at less risk, but just to err on the side of caution...give it a week.

I really appreciate the kind words, guys!  A word about the inlay - this is simply melted pewter (lead-free solder) poured into routed cavities in the wood. My scrap trial piece went very well, but the actual lid gave me fits, because I had already put a coat of DO on it, although it was very light, and cured for a week while I was out of town. The oil in the wood seems to make the molten metal bead up, rather than settle into the cavity. Also, I tried to go to fine on some of the lines, so I had to dribble the metal in, then press it down with a stick before it hardened too much. Very short window if time to do that, so prior to sanding it flush, it was a really globby mess. Wider lines / cavities, and undercutting the wood would really help.

I has to replace a few spots that pulled out during initial sanding. Then I soaked the edges with CA glue before final sanding. I'm kinda scared the inlay will still come out with handling of the box, hence the desire to top coat with shellac.

The effect is pretty cool, though. Even better in darker wood. Another tip - after sanding to 320, add some oil and wet sand with 400 or higher to remove all the scratch marks from the metal.

In fact, I wet-sanded each coat of DO on the strapped box as well, and it came out smoooooooth!

One more brief update: Today I worked on interior linings. These were made by cutting posterboard to fit each area, then using contact cement to glue upholstery fabric to the posterboard backing. Lots of cutting to make the edges wrap neatly. 51ad5c7c5bfc1b25b8932fe6eef06e5d.jpg1343164d9178372807b3fe1cbef0f693.jpg1675b3538ed26ea240f148a0bf4d762a.jpg Notice that I made liners for the inner sides of the pine box, as well as the top and bottom. This turned out to be an epic fail, as I did not properly account for the extra thickness of the fabric, resulting in those pieces being far to big to fit. I think I'll just leave them out, as it looks fine without. The linings will be held in place with carpet tape, so as to be somewhat removeable. Next up is to sort of 'french polish' the cherry box, and these will be ready for the Project Showcase.

• Like 1