Wife is over sharing the garage

Brendon_t

I figured out most of the tools.  Dust Collector in one corner and drill press in the other.  Table Saw in the middle with Jointer, Planer, and Band Saw around it.  But what's the thing between the garage door and the Table Saw?

And, why are there three dead rats on a table in the laundry room?

Looks like a nice setup!

That would be the planer w roller outfeed, and the other weird thing is a drum sander.

the rats are dogs, dachshunds to be exact( very big rats). We bring them into crates to sleep at night as my yard butts up to an arroyo and the dogs bark all night at critters and people back there.

When you go to move the compressor it looks like you would have enough room to put it behind drill press.  Pull the drill press out and maybe turn it at a 45 degree and stash the compressor behind.  Run some hard lines overhead from there to where you want it.

The little lady threw down the gauntlet. I figured there had to be something coming with how agreeable she's been.

Last November (yeah I know) I tackled a barely used bathroom reno. Tore out everything,  new electrical,  new drywall, replaced nasty shower with a jacuzzi tub.

All that said,  bathroom has been done for months,  except for the wall tile in the shower. I hate tileing walls and she "reminded me that I really shouldn't start the garage before the bathroom is done. ..

Damn. I really thought she would eventually forget about the red backer board walls. .

The little lady threw down the gauntlet. I figured there had to be something coming with how agreeable she's been.

Last November (yeah I know) I tackled a barely used bathroom reno. Tore out everything,  new electrical,  new drywall, replaced nasty shower with a jacuzzi tub.

All that said,  bathroom has been done for months,  except for the wall tile in the shower. I hate tileing walls and she "reminded me that I really shouldn't start the garage before the bathroom is done. ..

Damn. I really thought she would eventually forget about the red backer board walls. .

go to angies list, find a tile setter, hire the guy and be done with it.  

• 2 months later...

One free day at a time,which are increasingly harder to come by, I'm getting closer to getting my shop.

8dbba85b5ad87afb5c1722083843de5b.jpg65c410171cfae812423e144cc3edbc05.jpgedc0e6ef919d80ca9745f77366f3f661.jpg
Looks great Brendon. How was it installing 12x24s half/half? Were the tiles fairly straight? We dont install 12x24s like that anymore because they are normally bowed a bit and makes it hard to do a nice install. Did they flush up nicely? Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk

I would love to say that they were a breeze to install, but I would be lying.  Knowing the variability of tile, I did full size layouts  before tile ever hit the wall.  I grouped  vertical sets by size. Layout helped a lot but there was still quite a bit of shooting from the hip as far as final fitting.  I am not a tile setter. I do not claim to be, I would never do a tile job for pay, but it's my own house and I can live with any imperfections.

the biggest issue I ran into was thickness. The tile was from two batches that had slightly different thicknesses.

• 3 weeks later...

The garage is officially a sheet storm. I know I really should have gone through everything first and put on it side but I said screw it, hand me my sawzall.

being that the wall is not load bearing, I may be going overkill but I figure everything worth doing is worth overdoing.

drywall stripped from the area where the wall will tie into the existing studs, blocks every 16" OC between the studs.  2x6's every 16"OC  overhead blocked between the 2x10 rafters. 

Got the moisture barrier down, sole plate bolted down to the concrete.

note 1). After years of handy manning, I'm not easily impressed with tools any more. I borrowed a 1/2" hammer drill from my neighbor to pre drill for the tap cons into the floor and DANG, that thing is a blast.  Blows through 40 year old concrete leaving nothing but a fine dust in seconds. The cordless impact did some work throwing tap cons 2" into the ground.

i cant wait to get all of her crap off of my side.

throughout the week, after work, I'm hoping to be able to get the studs framed in, boxes built around the hvac pipes, tear down the Sheetrock on both walls on my side of the wall and holes bored out for the wiring runs, which leads me to not quite knowing what the circuits need to look like. Ugh..

40068db54e0849d2b01fbfe5393ee92a.jpg

Edited by Brendon_t
  • Like 2

note 1). After years of handy manning, I'm not easily impressed with tools any more. I borrowed a 1/2" hammer drill from my neighbor to pre drill for the tap cons into the floor and DANG, that thing is a blast.  Blows through 40 year old concrete leaving nothing but a fine dust in seconds. The cordless impact did some work throwing tap cons 2" into the ground.

I know what you mean. I used one to drill holes in my brick house for window wells. Blasted through the brick like it wasn't even there. Drilled right into the basement, which wasn't at all what I wanted. 

It sounds like you need to get her more involved in house work.  If my wife wants something done,  I'll usually do it but make her help,  even if that means it takes me twice as long.  If found she makes much less superfluous requests when she's going to have some sweat equity in it also. 

All the existing drywall is gone, wiring for the 110v is all run. 20a receptacles follow 20a gfci on every branch.  The outer wall was not insulated so I threw up some R13 since I had about 100 feet left over from a previous job. I know 13 isn't right for the exterior but it is a hell of a lot better than nothing at all and I had it in a pinch. Tomorrow I'll be installing the pocket door between the laundry room and shop,  hang lights in the laundry room, install 2 more fixtures  on my side of the wall. If I get around to it, I'll get the sheet rock thrown up on the laundry room side. The fil comes on Sunday to run the 220, and install the sub panel. 

As as you can se in the bottom picture, everything from the walls is all pulled into the center of the room. It's driving me nuts but a decent motivation to hurry up and finish

0a7a6aee29def5d02287c3d574c5687d.jpg774701f579e11b42d14de251a1a17502.jpg

Edited by Brendon_t