Wife is over sharing the garage

Brendon_t

Looks like #1 is a regular 220V circuit in two slots.  #2 and #3 are two 110V circuits in one slot (double breaker).  #4 and #5 are two 220V circuits in two slots (double breaker), and #6 and #7 are two 110V circuits in one slot (double breaker).  220V will always need two slots, but I guess you can double up and put two 220V circuits in two slots.

OSB is all hung. Except the small bulkhead I'll build for the hvac lines coming through the partition wall. Next logical step is to prime and paint but that's going to have to wait for a minute. A few projects need finished up, the last T8 fixture needs to go up, and that godawful rack needs gone. 12d3fb164e14c7b3026f07fd662b9082.jpg Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
So after messing around with the grizzly shop planner, it looks like I would need to loose about 6" of depth from what I have now.  My (under half) would be 11' deep by 18'3 wide. I gain a wall that is open air now, and would finally have  plugs whets I need them. She also agreed to have my 40 gallon air compressor on her side and I would pipe through the wall. 

Since "her side" would be a laundry room plus the general garage storage,  I think she warrents the bigger side. 

As for just upgrading the dc, this is also an option. I just don't think it's a good one.  My garage door runs up my side of the garage so rigid piping is out. The band saw will NEVER have adequate collection. 

My normal standard operating procedure is to collect at the machine,  I always have my garage door open at least 4' giving a decent air exchange, and I have a high velocity fan that lives on the snap-on box pointed out of the shop.  When I'm done working, garage stays open and fan on for at least an hour.  Just that fan has cut down settling particulates by a huge margin but it's still not enough. I do fear it feeling smaller on there but again,  I work with the garage completely open 8 months out of the year. 

Coop, agreed. Conversation closed.  I'm goin fishing. 

Mike,  technically, I'm woodworking in the laundry room since she was there first. 

---

Wife of a woodworker here...

I didn't understand the awesomeness of his hobby until I was grumbling over the never-ending laundry pile and he promptly built me a laundry sorting system with a folding table. Which my girlfriends squeal in envy over. Popular choice, smart husband. Suddenly, it was a much more appealing hobby and I could look around the house and say, "honey, how hard would it be to build.....?" Now he's terrified of when I get That Look in my eye bc he knows it's going to be another project.

On a side note, this is a great post because I'm about to make him his favorite dinner, wait until he's full and happy, and then mildly suggest that what we REALLY need is an enclosed mudroom/storage/entry in our garage so that I can have those super cute coat hangers and family mail sorter I saw on Pinterest------errr---oops---nix that---

Obviously, it's because this will mean his shop has an extra wall and we can install a dust system for good measure in his dude space.

No good deed goes unpunished!

Thanks, guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ok, I am going to go out on a limb here but, are you sure  you are a wife? As in female.  I have never heard a wife gloat so much about that damn hobby her husband does that a) he spends so much damn money on and 2) makes so big of a mess with..  mine sure as heck doesn't.

If so,  go into hubby's shop, punch him in the arm and tell him the WTO crew says don't screw this up. ..

We might be bordering on the phase where proof is needed.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

Ok, I am going to go out on a limb here but, are you sure  you are a wife? As in female.  I have never heard a wife gloat so much about that damn hobby her husband does that a) he spends so much damn money on and 2) makes so big of a mess with..  mine sure as heck doesn't.

If so,  go into hubby's shop, punch him in the arm and tell him the WTO crew dais don't screw this up. ..

We might be bordering on the phase where proof is needed.

If I built my wife the stuff she really wanted.... mudroom lockers, storage, distressed painted pieces, etc she would love me too.  But I hate building stuff like that so she hates the hobby.  

Realized today I haven't really added anything in here since the walls went up. The 4' added depth may not look much different from my previous shop tour but damn can I feel the difference. With the cold and wet weather (drought) the 2 gallons of primer and 2 gallons of 1963 chevy corvette white are sitting in top of the bench waiting for fairer days.

Besides the paint, the dc piping needs run but I'm going to do a project or two to get things where I want them to start. Still not a cavernous expanse but it's my not cavernous expanse that the wife doesn't have to deal with dust from.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3a2bf358cf9ea91208f1541e6b706eb6.jpg

5b2034747504d822e4e122c70e03a9c9.jpg

06787d5d43c32a5dcfdc39a823e856fa.jpg

45af15b456d549f20f13f349abf2e367.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks gents, I'm planning to do a little video walk through once it's done done.  The proportions look a bit more cramped than it really is.

The far wall where the mitre saw is currently sitting is where the mitre saw station will go. Going to buy two 36" cabinets from loews and use that as the base. Well be nice to have the storage and a permanent place to crosscut rather than hand saw wherever I can. 

• 4 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

I'm never tell someone to throw up OSB and paint it again. 

I'm on coat 2 over one of primer and it's still not covering evenly and fully. 

Brendon, I feel for you.  I do not, I repeat, do not like painting and can't imagine what it must be like trying to paint that stuff.  Its got to be like painting a sponge.

Shop is starting to look good though.  Don't forget to leave room for the Roubo.

10 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

Neither side was overly shiney although I did put the smooth side with lines and makers stamp out.

If I wasn't half way done,  I'd definately be getting a sprayer. Now, I feel like it's me vs that stupid holey wood in a drag out. .

Normally the side with the lines is the rough side. Atleast thats the way it is here.

13 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

I'm never tell someone to throw up OSB and paint it again. 

I'm on coat 2 over one of primer and it's still not covering evenly and fully. 

Mike Suitor, mad props..

I did 1 coat of primer then 2 coats of premium paint with primer. OSB likes to suck down the paint, and after going through 19 gallons painting my ceiling and walls, won't be sad if I never paint again in my life. 

7 minutes ago, estesbubba said:

I did 1 coat of primer then 2 coats of premium paint with primer. OSB likes to suck down the paint, and after going through 19 gallons painting my ceiling and walls, won't be sad if I never paint again in my life. 

what primer are you using?  In my experience Bin Shellac based primer does the best of quickly sealing surfaces so you can top coat (I have used on wood, mdf, drywall.  Never OSB though).   In any case, it dries in 20 mins so recoating is fast.