Wife is over sharing the garage

Brendon_t

Read 3 up boys.  She had the great idea to make it bigger

How's this: you agree to do all the laundry if she agrees to let you arrange the laundry room and shop however you want. :)

there's not there's not much chance that's  going to happen. I work . She is a stay at home mom. I do my own laundry because because there's a certain way I like it done and dried. Two more feet of shop space is absolutely not worth doing for more people's laundry

Edited by Brendon_t

Well, it's a go.  I talked to the FIL (he is an electrical contractor) this morning and he has a 100A  sub panel and all the breakers on hand.  Only thing I need to pay for is the romex.

With the wall going up,  I will only have 1 plug on my side.  I'm thinking I should add 6 more. One by the Bandsaw, one by the compressor/DC unit two above the bench and to on the right side wall.  Now I've gotta figure out how many circuits that needs to be. 

With the updated wall location being on the washer, dryer side of the door on the left is going to be tight.  What I didn't make totally clear is that my garage is also used as a garage. .  Camping gear,  bikes, extra chairs for holidays. .all kind of stuff is stored in there. The laundry is done over there but it is not a laundry room, with the sole purpose of doing laundry. 

What the discussion came down to,  was I spend a lot of time out there.  It is my refuge of sorts.  I go there for pleasure.  She spends a collective 15 minutes a day out there and would rather me have the space I enjoy. 

@mike, I don't have any 220 machines but was planning on doing at least one 220 circuit.  Why would you recommend two?

Good point. 

The sub panel going in is 100A so I should have the room on there. The only things that will ever be on at the same time are the (always) light circuit , dust collector and one of ,table saw,  jointer,  planer,  band saw, drum sander.  With adding 2 plugs on each wall not including 220, what type of circuit configuration do you think. 

I'm thinking  dc can go with lights on a 20a, not a clue for the rest. 

I'm thinking  dc can go with lights on a 20a, not a clue for the rest. 

You won't get much of a DC to run on a 20A, 120V circuit, especially with the lights on it. Better to run a dedicated 30A, 240V circuit with a neutral so you can connect a 120V collector, or in future a good sized 240V. 

@mike, I don't have any 220 machines but was planning on doing at least one 220 circuit.  Why would you recommend two?

Because there are NEVER enough. I wouldn't stop at 6 120v outlets, either. If I had a 100 A panel to install for that space, there would be a duplex receptacle on darn near every stud.

• Like 1

Better visual.  I'd love to hear thoughts on the layout.  

Shared wall rectangles are the big snap-on box which is a work surface  and router table. 

Left wall is the gun safe (wife doesn't want it on her side) and current bench (60" but room for the roubo when I move the air compressor out of the way)

Right wall is a 72" long 5' tall steel shelving unit with lumber storage rack above it. 

Central machine hub power will come from the right wall to a single heavy strip I think. 

Shop layout.JPG

You won't get much of a DC to run on a 20A, 120V circuit, especially with the lights on it. Better to run a dedicated 30A, 240V circuit with a neutral so you can connect a 120V collector, or in future a good sized 240V. 

I would actually go 40A 240V to be safe since some 3 HP DC's can spike over 30A on startup.