Sharpening a router plane

Immortan D

Needed a small router plane, my LN being too big for the task, so I got one of those generic small router planes, a Shop Fox precisely. Not too shabby I must say, flat and square, but the blade needs sharpening.

Found this video from Christopher Schwarz, which proposes using a steel ruler for the entire task:

How do you guys sharpen this particular blade? I don't think the Shop Fox blade has room for errors.

The ruler trick is pretty slick, but overused... I don't use the ruler trick on joinery planes, BU planes, et al...

For a router plane iron, this is pretty close to the method I use:

The only trick is finding something to hold the iron at the desired bevel angle. I use a small drill press vice - similar to that in the video, but simpler in design...

I also use a primary and secondary bevel only... Some find a tertiary bevel saves them time in the long run, I don't... I find two setups is about all I can stand... The extra 10 strokes it takes for a larger secondary offsets the setup required by a third angle...

Edited by hhh
  • Like 1

I probably won't change my method of honing router plane irons, but I do like the inventiveness... The method sparks new ideas and encourages out-of-the-box thinking...  Thanks..

PS. And keep it up. I love new ways of looking at sharpening...

Remember that you wrote, "The only trick is finding something to hold the iron at the desired bevel angle ..."

Well, add your sharpening method to honing on the hollow - which is another jig "to keep the iron at the desired angle".

Regards from Perth

Derek

I must admit that I didn't build a jig like the video... I've got a selection of small purpose-made tool maker's drill press vices for my other hobby activities... I just use a small one to hold the iron at a bevel and hone away... I do use a hollow-grind on most of my other edges, so I'll give your jig a whirl -- or turn the vice on it's side and use it for what's intended --- at the drill press :)

Actually, where the vice method comes in handy are the small router plane irons and inlay irons -- they are just too small for my fingers to get a good grip -- and I really don't like holding them with vice-grips -- small tool maker's vices come in handy...

Edited by hhh

Daniel, have you calculated the angle of the backbevel you have added with the ruler trick? With a short blade, you could be adding about 20 degrees to the cutting angle. 

Tom, the risk of honing a flat bevel this size is that you round it over. The advantage of a hollow grind is that you ensure the angle is what it is.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek, I used the ruler to put a tiny bevel on the other side of the blade, like in the first video. Only a few passes with +-8000 grit (extra extra fine diamond stone), it is hardly visible. So it's not really a secondary bevel, I used the wrong word there. More a deburring operation than anything else.

Edited by Daniel.

I haven't had any problem rounding over a flat bevel.  I can see where it would be a problem going forward and back, but side to side gives plenty good enough feel to keep the bevel flat on the stone.  One finger on my left hand holds it down, and the right hand provides most of the back and forth motion.  With a fast cutting stone, it doesn't take many swipes anyway. You can feel that the bevel stays flat on the stone.   I don't get good feedback feel with diamond stones, whereas waterstones or even oilstones suit me a lot better for feel.

I do my sharpening with waterstones in a sink.  One side has a surface plate for flattening the stones.  I flatten the edges for little cutters, and the stone being used gets set up on edge in the bottom of one sink with a stream of water running on it.  Works for me as good as anything.

Edited by Tom King

It just looks like you're wearing back perfectly good metal to accomplish what? When I get to the obvious and don't realize it, someone stop me ?

In Derek's blog (follow the link in his post) he explains, pictures included, that once you established the hollow bevel, you can use it as a jig for honing: the bevel is your jig.

It's an interesting method, not everyone has to agree though.

• Like 1