New router shopping

Brendon_t

I'm sick of taking my router out of the table every time I need to do a handheld operation so I'm a shopping. 

I love the handle feel of the of of1400 But,  I don't use a dust extractor and the price of accessories is making me think twice. 

This will only live in a plunge base and I want a micro adjustable edge guide and the ability to use guide bushings plus 1/4 or 1/2" bits

Currently looking at the Triton tra001.

Dewalt 625 

Pc7538.

Any reviews of these or other routers that should be on the list are welcome. 

Ok this is kind of embarrassing  but here goes.  I have the Triton 001 in my table, I didn't like as a handheld but in my table its nice and has decent DC.   I have two of the DW 625, (one for parts) it is a great router but really heavy for extended handheld use.  I have the DW 618 fixed base/plunge combo and don't like it at all, it has a goofy switch location and the plunge lock does not hold.   This doesn't count my 2 compact DWs.

Thursday I bought a OF 1400.  It is probably some sort of disease, but I don't care.

I have the Bosch 1617 in my router table and the DeWalt 618 as my hand held (plus a DeWalt palm sized router).

I can't complain much about any of them. Each has the normal router features and each has one or two little features that are nice.

I got the Bosch for my table because it has adjustment from above the table, but I find it doesn't make it all that more convenient. You still have to reach under the table to release the clamp that secures the router before and after you adjust it.

I got that clear plastic shroud that is used for dust collection so that I have a shopvac connected to the Bosch under the table, and a second shop vac connected to my router table fence. The dust collection still isn't stellar, but it works to a large extent.

The edge guide for the DeWalt isn't super rock-solid precise but you can get it dialed in with a little testing on scrap.

Of course you're looking for a larger router, but I imagine you're going to find that DeWalt, PC, and Bosch, etc. are going to be of similar quality with one or two minor features that you like better. If you can, try out the depth stop settings and attach the edge guide before you buy to see which style of adjustment features you prefer.

Edited by davewyo

No, it has the turret stops.

kev, am I understanding correctly that you cannot lock the plunge in place mid plunge? That sounds like a huge design flaw.

and thanks for the other input, just a reminder, this router will never see a table. It's only function will be handheld use. 

I have both the Bosch and Dewalt plunge routers.  I like them both, but they both have (different) shortcomings.  I like the ergonomics better on the Bosch, but the Dewalt is definitely lighter.  I like the bit change on the Bosch much better (Dewalt one is the "one wrench" and you press a button with your other finger to engage a brake on the collet - I find it very clumsy and unless you have tiny fingers I bet you will too).  Bosch is the standard two wrench bit change.

Using a guide bushing with the Bosch is a bit of a PIA because it requires an adapter, whereas the Dewalt base is ready to go.  The on/off switch on the Dewalt is a little easier to access mid-routing.  

The Bosch edge guide is a bit higher quality, but neither is great - I'd consider the micro adjust feature to be junk on both of them.  Honestly, they're both pretty good - gun to my head I probably go with the Bosch.  

The PC690 also seems to be the standard for handheld routing, but I don't have one and can't really offer an opinion on it.

Anyone tried the Hitachi M12VC? I was comparing Bosch, Dewalt and Hitachi at the local big box this afternoon. Looked pretty decent, and was about $50 less than the Bosch.

A friend of mine swears by them. He started using one in his CNC because of the mount or something.. and has been a fan ever since. And like you said, they're less money. 

Brendon I've got the triton and I like it. I've been using it for hand held work, it does pretty good, but it is heavy. My only complaint is if you don't lock it down when it's not in free plunge mode there is some lash in the settings, which caused me to have a couple funky looking dado bottoms, but as long as you remember to lock it down, it's been great. 

kev, am I understanding correctly that you cannot lock the plunge in place mid plunge? That sounds like a huge design flaw.

and thanks for the other input, just a reminder, this router will never see a table. It's only function will be handheld use. 

See Eric's post..  The 1617 comes with a couple bases for more versatility.

I have the Trend T11. It is fantastic, has a micro adjusting edge guide, great depth stopping, variable speed by electronics, very quiet and dust collection is very good too. The T11 has a built in router raiser so I use it in the table. The T10 is identical apart from not having the raiser.