New to me saw..

Brendon_t

That is so strange. I feel like I want to play around with mine tonight to see what it looks like. We have identical motors. What blade height is the saw set to when you go full bevel? I could be imagining it, but it looks like the blade is lowered, and if you raised it then the wire box(wtf is a peckerhead!?!? doesn't sound like it involves motors) will clear that seam. I will note that when I put mine back together, I could not get the saw to zero out. It would go to about 3-5° and that was all I could get. I had to take the stop bolt off the U carriage that should stop the blade tilt at 0 and 45 if set properly. Somehow mine was hitting part of the table casting.

The blade is protruding the table by about 1.25" it will clear if I raise it up more but not being able to go full tilt on shallow cuts isn't what I expected with a baldor direct drop in and isn't acceptable to me at least.

Yeah, agreed. I was thinking the motor would clear if the blade was set to 0.25" above the table. Cant imagine wanting to do a beveled non-through cut 1/8-1/4" deep. Still, should do everything you want it to do--no excuses!

The old motor was a millennium 5hp. Not apples to apples.

So the big conclusion.... I dropped the motor used a hack saw to remove about 3/4" off the top of the j box which was totally exposed.  Tack welded a nut on each end for the screws to sit back in and viola, full tilt even with the blade dropped into the zci. 

The fix took about 25 minutes with removal and reinstall. Annoying that I had to do it but glad it was easy and is done. 

With that hiccup over,  I bolted on my existing delta fence,  went through the entire setup process including perfectly aligning the pullies, setting 0 and 45 degree stops, aligned the blade to the mitre slot, setting the fence to parallel  then just had to cut something.  

I threw in a 45t combo blade because my thin kerf ripping isn't needed any more,  jointed one edge and one face of a piece of 2.75" thick walnut and cut about an inch off.

First impressions:

Dang it spools up fast.

Holy hell.

Where is the vibration?

Cliffs notes, the saw performs awesome.  Cuts like a monster even in thick materials. Adjusting the saw is very smooth and precise. I've got 4 more cutting board orders to fill before xmas so I'll be messing with the saw a lot in the coming days. 

• Like 1

Agreed on both counts.  

As pretty new to the ac world, I didn't even know the brand baldor 6 months ago. In my research, they seem to be very highly regarded. Is it twice the motor today, maybe, maybe not. What I'm banking on is that it will still be twice the leeson or other off brand 3ph motor  in 10-15 years and earn it's price premium.

Nothing like going from a lesser saw to a really good cabinet saw. I used to tell my self & anyone who would listen how great my old Jet contractor saw was. And it was really good; accurate, reliable & always stayed in tune. But the new SawStop is just wonderful. Every time I turn it on it makes me grin.