New to me saw..

Brendon_t

The Leeson isn't? I knew some were and some weren't. Same boat as you, I considered going with a grizzly motor, one used and one new. The used one would have cost me $200ish I think. The g1023 or 690 is a copy of the unisaw, so the motor fits it; however, I had a saw that has the stars and stripes on it AND my hometown on the tag, and I simply couldn't do Taiwan.

Did you have to get a new starter with your new motors? I didn't even know they would need a starter but just read abou tuning a furnace starter??

The Leeson isn't? 

no, leeson motors used to have a huge plant in Lebanon MO and closed it down years ago and now build their motors in China.

Did you have to get a new starter with your new motors? I didn't even know they would need a starter but just read abou tuning a furnace starter??

no, leeson motors used to have a huge plant in Lebanon MO and closed it down years ago and now build their motors in China.

Brendon, if that is a "Furnas" starter, it is probably referring to the magnetic starter switch used on many electric motors over 3 hp or so. It prevents the machine from restarting on its own if power is lost while it is running, or if the switch is operated while the machine is unplugged. The starter capacitor Carus mentioned is a different thing, and should be mounted on the motor.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well after a few nights of wrenching, cleaning, painting cleaning and a bit of online shopping, I've brought the saw back up to a good looking machine that should function as new. Here are the pics I got from the seller. b426d3b40f71838026901a80e1e8b1b2.jpg7379fb4c30927c2cf1579c0fc63bf4e5.jpg45420854bbf8b3e53d873e1492eb0439.jpg The pics SUCKED but being that it was close by, I figured I'd go take a look. The saw was filthy, rusted table, wiring mess and 3 phase. Here she is today after a full tear down cleaning with brake cleaner, a new coat of paint and busting the rust from the top. f92e1f4a01df8c797e2f1b839167fd7c.jpgf9924a78be94723d72397691b7566ea5.jpg I'm waiting on the 3hp motor from Plaza machinery and it'll be good time. Once all is said and done, I'll proabably have a brand new grizz 3hp machine of money in it but with the baldor motor and vsct fence, I still think it was a good move. Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks Chet, I'm actually not sure either so might as well tally it so others know what it would cost to rehab/overhaul.

saw. $125

arbor bearings $21

motor cover. $85

matched belts $20

new switch and switch circuit wiring $45

paint, 2 cans of krylon, don't remember the price

baldor 3hp motor. Caugh.. ~$500 caugh..

immediately I'll have my T2 fence on it but the vsct will cost about $430 all in. I don't have any use for the ad on rail gimmicks but that seems to be the only real option put there (Was planning on buying the vega pro 40 but seller disappeared)

soo, about 800 before a fence upgrade.

Edited by Brendon_t

Damn Dude, you did a pretty decent job on it. If you hadn't called me a cry baby a while back, I would have said you did a great job ? get the new motor in it, get it off that "mobile base" and run some wood thru it!

ooh cry it up, that wasn't a while ago, that was yesterday,and you know, that Mobil base is big pimpin.. 

AND you have a motor cover, which is usually long gone.  I'd take it over a new one anyway.

it actually didn't come with it, I ordered a replacement cover from an ebay seller. It hit the hinges easily and is actually super thick blown plastic. I thought it may have been a weak remake but that thing is sturdy. I agree about this vs the new ones, everything is massive and sturdy. It's only 20years old but still feels better than today's made stuff, except I'm sure a 3k saw is even better.

Edited by Brendon_t

• 3 weeks later...

Motor finally arrived. It would have been hooked up tonight except I've found it difficult to find the right connectors. Apparently male end blade connectors for 12 G wires aren't sold at most hardware stores.

There's a good electrical store by my office so I'll head over there tomorrow. 

Edited by Brendon_t

Solid work on that thing man.  Looks great.  I'd love to have some of the older USA made tools...if they came with a mechanic to do all the work they need.  Nice machine you got there.

You'll like the VSCT fence.  Dumbest name ever for a company and product but it's a great fence.

Thanks guys. Unfortunately the vsct fence isn't happening until at least next month. I have a few projects I have committed to and I'm way behind by pausing everything to rework the shop.  I'm either going to have to keep using my old saw or set up the unisaw with my existing fence