Krenov Coffee Table

Eric.

Looks great Eric. Just curious, why didn't you float the top?

Well it is floating kind of...it's floating off the end aprons anyway.  I discovered too late that Krenov floated his both off the end aprons and the legs...and it looked cool of course...but I didn't know he built it that way until it was too late.

are the "gumby" legs shaped by hand after a rip at the bandsaw?  if so, how did you decide on the curve?

My usual process for curved legs is creating the template, bandsawing most of the waste, cleaning up on the router table with the template, further cleaning with a card scraper, then finally flexible sanding strips up to 220 grit.  So no, not really much hand work on those legs.

Very nice interpretation if the Krenov design, Eric. The split top looks really cool, kinda like you shrunk a Roubo. Do you think it will affect functionality as a coffee table?

I don't think so.  I just ate dinner on it and it held my plate just fine.  :)  I'm sure it will also hold a coffee cup and a woodworking book just as well.  Here's what Krenov wrote about the split top:

"Doing the top as it is here, in two halves, may seem eccentric.  I have done it as one whole piece glued together.  But this way is more fun, really.  It's kind of a smile - a joke perhaps.  It may puzzle some, but for most people it's pleasant, a change from the monotony of just the solid, one-piece top.

I left a space between the two halves, the two planks that I had, which matched fairly well together.  I made the opening large enough so that you could get in there with a small brush or a dust cloth, so I don't think it will irritate anyone."

• Like 1

Well it is floating kind of...it's floating off the end aprons anyway.  I discovered too late that Krenov floated his both off the end aprons and the legs...and it looked cool of course...but I didn't know he built it that way until it was too late.

My usual process for curved legs is creating the template, bandsawing most of the waste, cleaning up on the router table with the template, further cleaning with a card scraper, then finally flexible sanding strips up to 220 grit.  So no, not really much hand work on those legs.

I don't think so.  I just ate dinner on it and it held my plate just fine.  :)  I'm sure it will also hold a coffee cup and a woodworking book just as well.  Here's what Krenov wrote about the split top:

"Doing the top as it is here, in two halves, may seem eccentric.  I have done it as one whole piece glued together.  But this way is more fun, really.  It's kind of a smile - a joke perhaps.  It may puzzle some, but for most people it's pleasant, a change from the monotony of just the solid, one-piece top.

I left a space between the two halves, the two planks that I had, which matched fairly well together.  I made the opening large enough so that you could get in there with a small brush or a dust cloth, so I don't think it will irritate anyone."

he does have a way of marrying form and function (with a strong sense of practicality) which Is difficult to do.  Regardless, fine job Kiki ? !  The creator of a piece is always the worst critic...  It's beautiful, so just get over it! ?

• Like 1

It's true Andy, both comments.  Krenov was one of those few Rumpelstiltskins who everything they touched turned to gold.  I don't think it's something that can really be learned, but by god I'm gonna try.

I do like the piece...if I wasn't comparing it to an original I assume I wouldn't have much to complain about.  You know how we are with our work though...if there IS something to complain about, that's all we can see or think about. :)

I love the way the endgrain looks on the top. Did that take alot of scraping/sanding to achieve?

Not really.  I used the TS55 to make the bevel cuts all the way around the top, and since it's basically a plywood blade it left the end grain fairly clean right off the saw.  I sanded with 220 and called 'er done.

Zebrawood end grain is super cool.  It's part of the reason I used it for the top of this table...it was a good piece to show it off.  I've been saving that board for the right project for a few years.

Side note: zebrawood sucks to work with.  It's not as brittle and splintery as wenge, but it's getting there.  It's also got reversing, interlocked grain like African mahogany.  I dulled my #5 and #7 in literally 10 minutes trying to flatten those boards.  I said screw it and went planer sled.  Got some tearout even with the shelix head.  Drum sander for the win.

Not really.  I used the TS55 to make the bevel cuts all the way around the top, and since it's basically a plywood blade it left the end grain fairly clean right off the saw.  I sanded with 220 and called 'er done.

Zebrawood end grain is super cool.  It's part of the reason I used it for the top of this table...it was a good piece to show it off.  I've been saving that board for the right project for a few years.

Side note: zebrawood sucks to work with.  It's not as brittle and splintery as wenge, but it's getting there.  It's also got reversing, interlocked grain like African mahogany.  I dulled my #5 and #7 in literally 10 minutes trying to flatten those boards.  I said screw it and went planer sled.  Got some tearout even with the shelix head.  Drum sander for the win.

Haven't ordered the new jointer yet?

Yep, absolutely.  I highly recommend reading "A Cabinetmaker's Notebook."  Of all the books and online woodworking literature I've consumed, nothing has had more of an impact on me.  Not even close.  That book completely changed how I look at wood and approach woodworking.  Totally inspirational and transformational.  It was for me anyway, YMMV.  It is not a "how to" book.  Mostly philosophy and random thoughts.  Good stuff though.  The other Krenov books are also worth reading but Notebook is the real jewel.

Yep, absolutely.  I highly recommend reading "A Cabinetmaker's Notebook."  Of all the books and online woodworking literature I've consumed, nothing has had more of an impact on me.  Not even close.  That book completely changed how I look at wood and approach woodworking.  Totally inspirational and transformational.  It was for me anyway, YMMV.  It is not a "how to" book.  Mostly philosophy and random thoughts.  Good stuff though.  The other Krenov books are also worth reading but Notebook is the real jewel.

You along with other reviews have me adding this book to my Christmas wish list. Thanks

His legs are tapered higher and flare less the other way if that's what you were missing.  Still, I like yours.

I was looking at your bucket and this pic really shows some detail:

DSC_0163_1.jpg

It looks like his legs also are (don't know the right word) splayed out a bit?  Like I said I think yours is nicer, more understated/dignified which really showcases the zebrawood.  If you had his style exactly I think it would have taken away from the beauty of the top.

The model is sort of oriental pagoda inspired, more design than wood beauty.