Hello from Iowa

Justin

Hey everyone, 

I've been a follower of Marc's for a couple years now, decided to join the forum as I start/grow my woodworking hobby.  I am 29, about to be 30 in a couple months, I live with my beautiful, patient, and mostly supportive wife, my eight year old step daughter, and our two year old daughter.  We moved into our first house about three years ago and since then I have kicked the cars out of the garage and am slowly growing it into my shop, it's a 2.5 car 24x30 detached.  For my day job, I work at a very large, well known company as a Sr. Programmer/Analyst, and mostly write software in C++/C, but I am fluent in multiple programming languages.  I am a CNC enthusiast, since I was 18ish, I always wished that someday I would own one.  Well about a year and half ago, I started researching and found a few DIY kits for a reasonable price, decided to build my own, and learn how to run one.  I was pretty nervous about building one, mostly because of how accurate they need to be.  I researched and learn everything about them over the course of probably 6 months, then decided to bite the bullet.  Then over the course of a few months to a year I finished the build, and will probably continue to upgrade parts and other things down the road.  As far as CAD experience goes, in high school I had a year of mechanical engineering, and a year in architectural.  Then when I went to college, I took a year of mechanical before switching to a computer programming degree.  And as far as woodworking experience goes, I took shop class in high school, and have done mostly rough carpentry work.  Even though I own a CNC router, along with some other woodworking tools like craftsman table saw, benchtop bandsaw, sanders, scroll saw, etc..., I would like to get into building fine furniture, and cabinetry using every tool I can possibly acquire. 

Some of my interests/hobbies (I've been told I have too many):

Woodworking, CNC, Guitars, electronics, writing software, computers (building and repair), robotics, guns/knives, kydex holsters/sheaths, and machining.  None of them are cheap hobbies/interests and the new ones seem to keep getting more expensive :) 

Thanks for taking the time to read, see you in the forums.

-Justin 

You may have just screwed up your financial  future!  You want to build fine furniture and cabinetry using every tool you can aquire!  Have you ever heard of "Festool"?  you will, and you'll be poorer for the knowledge!   Welcome to the forum, and get a strong rubber band for your wallet!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. 

welcome justin, good to have another iowan here, i'm from the eastern side, many hobbies for me also but woodworking is the number one thing i do, lots of great people and information here

Western Iowa here, actually refreshing to see a lot of mid-westerners around here.  I have told people I live in Iowa before, more than once I have heard "where is that?", and most of them were from people in the US.

Welcome, Justin! Glad to have you. Just curious, what happened to the other 0.5 car from the garage? ?

I suppose if I wasn't married or have kids it would probably be a motorcycle :D  

You may have just screwed up your financial  future!  You want to build fine furniture and cabinetry using every tool you can aquire!  Have you ever heard of "Festool"?  you will, and you'll be poorer for the knowledge!   Welcome to the forum, and get a strong rubber band for your wallet! 

Well I suppose reasonably acquire?  Lol actually as far as festool goes the domino would be the only tool that I would like to have right now, the others would just be upgrades to tools I own.  Either way if I want a tool bad enough I will always figure out a way to afford it ;) 

Welcome to the forum. I'm an ISU grad and now live just South of Omaha.

Nice I have a lot of family and friends in Omaha, Born and raised Sioux City here.  So Cyclones, Hawkeyes, or Nebraska fan?