Rogowski Jewelry Boxen

Tom Cancelleri

Beautiful box.

Great lumber, sweet contrast. Well done on the chamfers. Killer breadboards. Nice crisp hinge installation.

Just out of curiosity...do you always mill your lumber by hand, or was this just because of the figure and tear-out considerations?

Thanks. I don't usually mill by hand. However for this, I didn't wanna cut the board and reglue it. The board is 1 solid piece a little over 11" wide. I jointed one face, then ran it through the planer and then drum sander. The sides I hit with the smoother and didn't even sand once milled to thickness.

• Like 1

I had to help slop butter and herbs on the turkey, mop the floor and set up tables and chairs for the mob that's coming over. No shop time. What's your secret? 

Not hosting, made apple crisp last night so I didn't have anything to do this morning, other than some woodworking, listen to music, enjoy some breakfast. 

Finished shaping and sanding the handle (pics later) Drilled the 1/8"pegs to reinforce the finger joints. Plugged with birch dowel, since that size walnut is near impossible to find locally, and I wasn't turning something that small.

22373eb2a8a6cd9c3808eaffe5ddd6b4.jpg

Masked the sueded micro fiber to prep for finish. I'm thinking final sanding and finish coat 1 tomorrow.

591531c9789c0bca93e256cc241dcb0d.jpg 

Edited by Tom Cancelleri
  • Like 1

Sanding is all done, need to make feet, glue them on and then put finish on it. Decided to make it g&gish with some rounded elements instead of chamfers. b82146b9972897835e302254c30cca5b.jpg Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

What is the white stuff on the box?

I wiped the joint and pegs with mineral spirits to bring out the colors and see how they looked with the pegs installed. The white is where i didn't wipe with MS.

Tom, the finish doesn't wick under the tape?  I would have thought you wouldn't be able to mask something like suede because it isn't a rigid surface.

It won't wick under. Waterlox is applied light and will soak in before any pooling occurs, I'll be very careful. Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

why not cut on bandsaw? ... unless bandsaw was not an option ... seems a lot safer for something that small

I could, however i want the smoothest finish as possible, and that's my Freud ultimate cross cut blade, where it is being cut needs to be smooth as it is being glued, and also it is the bottom of the next foot. Miter gauge and some careful setup was just the thing. Before the next 6 boxes (24 feet) are made, I'll make a new table saw cross cut sled. Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk