Did something just happen?

bgreenb

Latest Tapatalk is now installed. I don't use Tapatalk so I can't verify if it works as it should.

I like to treat forum updates the same way I treat my dust bin when transferring it to the big garbage can. I simply lift it up, dump it in, and run. I only come back after the dust clears. ;)

Latest Tapatalk is now installed. I don't use Tapatalk so I can't verify if it works as it should.

I like to treat forum updates the same way I treat my dust bin when transferring it to the big garbage can. I simply lift it up, dump it in, and run. I only come back after the dust clears.

Tapatalk is working now. Thanks!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Marc looks like you've got the New Content back and I actually like to new format and hiding read content by default. I also like the previews in the stream so I can decide if I want to read more. I know people freak about change (myself included) but the forum is way better than it was a few iterations ago and a good responsive experience. Keep up the good work. 

Well I can't take credit (or blame) for any of this. :) I like to keep the software updated to the latest for the sake of good security. So we have to simply roll with whatever changes the developers implement, for better for for worse. But as always, I can pass on any major issues directly to the developer.

With the "new content" feature, they did give us some control on the back end. So I can decide not only the name of the link "new content" but also the default functionality. I have it set to what I think most people will want to use. Let me know if we need to change anything.

4 hours ago, thewoodwhisperer said:

I like to treat forum updates the same way I treat my dust bin when transferring it to the big garbage can. I simply lift it up, dump it in, and run. I only come back after the dust clears. ;)

Funny, that is my preferred method when changing my son's diapers.  Take a deep breath, change as fast as humanly possible, dump it in the garbage and run.  I only come back after my wife has emptied the garbage.

• Like 2

It would be nice to have the option on the new content page to not default to the last post in the thread. Makes things very disjointed, unless you are the type of person to read every single thread and keep up with all the responses. I liked the old version where you could preview the first post to see if the thread interested you.

A

• Like 1

It actually goes to the first unread post, as it should. If it's a thread that's completely new to you, that would be the first post. If it's one you've read already, it will be the first NEW post in the thread. The key is to click the little dot next to the title of the post, NOT the title itself. Is that the functionality you're looking for or am I misunderstanding?

19 minutes ago, thewoodwhisperer said:

It actually goes to the first unread post, as it should. If it's a thread that's completely new to you, that would be the first post. If it's one you've read already, it will be the first NEW post in the thread. The key is to click the little dot next to the title of the post, NOT the title itself. Is that the functionality you're looking for or am I misunderstanding?

That trick helps, but I think what he was getting at is a similar gripe to one I have.  Under new content, if you have the expanded view set, it shows the most recent post in the preview below the post title rather than the OP.  I believe it is doing this for posts I have or have not read. 

edit:  what I said may or may not be a true statement...  Maybe its showing a reply to a post and not the post?  Does that make sense? 

I see what you're saying now. The preview does indeed show the latest response even if you've never read the thread before. And the idea being you want to see what the thread is about before jumping into it. Obviously that's what the title is intended to do but of course it's nice to actually give a glimpse into the details before clicking. Unfortunately I have no setting to remedy that on my end.

17 minutes ago, thewoodwhisperer said:

I see what you're saying now. The preview does indeed show the latest response even if you've never read the thread before. And the idea being you want to see what the thread is about before jumping into it. Obviously that's what the title is intended to do but of course it's nice to actually give a glimpse into the details before clicking. Unfortunately I have no setting to remedy that on my end.

That's it exactly. The pop-up preview in the old way was better, if I get a vote. 

I think my remedy will be to turn off the preview.

18 minutes ago, Cochese said:

I think my remedy will be to turn off the preview.

How do you do that?

My last little micro-whine...when it's a multi-page thread, you don't have the option to jump to a certain page from the new content page...it's either go to first unread post or the beginning of the thread.  I'll cry myself to sleep tonight and be over it by the morning.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eric. said:

How do you do that?

My last little micro-whine...when it's a multi-page thread, you don't have the option to jump to a certain page from the new content page...it's either go to first unread post or the beginning of the thread.  I'll cry myself to sleep tonight and be over it by the morning.

I believe it's called condensed view on the right side. Two icons on the content page.

36 minutes ago, Eric. said:

How do you do that?

I miss that too, in my infinite OCD I often know what page I left off on and want to jump back right there to pick up the thread even if I have skimmed more pages. 

I just figured out that if I select "content only" instead of "Content, comments, and reviews", then it displays threads instead of posts.  In other words, I only see one result for each thread with new content, instead of one result for every new post.

It's still a pain to use a "custom stream" instead of a standard button, but it's a lot better.

8 minutes ago, Beechwood Chip said:

I just figured out that if I select "content only" instead of "Content, comments, and reviews", then it displays threads instead of posts.  In other words, I only see one result for each thread with new content, instead of one result for every new post.

It's still a pain to use a "custom stream" instead of a standard button, but it's a lot better.

You can make a custom stream your default stream by clicking on the checkmark near the stream name when it is active. The default stream is accessible with a single click via the new content button (which changes to the name of your custom stream).