Bussy Family Table

Lee Bussy

Wow Lee! That stuff really works! What are you using as a stripper?

You may not need to bleach that water staining if you're going to go with a Jeff Jewitt multi-step dye/glaze oak finish. Do you have any discarded pieces that you can try out the finishing schedule?

The Jewitt finish I used was very forgiving with stains or discoloration. It makes them look like they belong.

http://IMAG0642_zps2lcllc9b.jpg

28 minutes ago, davewyo said:

Wow Lee! That stuff really works! What are you using as a stripper?

You may not need to bleach that water staining if you're going to go with a Jeff Jewitt multi-step dye/glaze oak finish. Do you have any discarded pieces that you can try out the finishing schedule?

The Jewitt finish I used was very forgiving with stains or discoloration. It makes them look like they belong.

I'm using Jasco Paint and Epoxy Remover:

GJBP00203_-_JB_Prem_PE_Rmvr_Gal.jpg

With the match I need to do on the new wood I don't want to chance the dark areas turning black after it's finished.  Some wood bleach is a cheap investment and it will also make it easier to match the stain top and bottom.

12 hours ago, Chet K. said:

How is that stuff to work with?  You in full body armor?  Is your shop now a EPA super fund site?

Gauntlet gloves, eye protection, organic vapor cartridges in my dust mask.  I splattered a little on my arm above my gloves (was in short sleeves of course) and by the time I got to the sink it was burning pretty good.  It works SO well though, I don't mind the gear.

On December 29, 2015 at 7:13 AM, Lee Bussy said:

Gauntlet gloves, eye protection, organic vapor cartridges in my dust mask.  I splattered a little on my arm above my gloves (was in short sleeves of course) and by the time I got to the sink it was burning pretty good.  It works SO well though, I don't mind the gear.

I used some of that stuff to strip a tailgate of my truck once... Got a little on my arm like you did, man that stuff will light a fire on you! 

• 2 weeks later...

Okay I was hoping someone did the same thing I did and I would not feel so bad.  Guess not. :)

When doing biscuits I did them between EVERY board, even the two making up the split in my table.  So, I had to repair that area.  It will be visible if the table is open, but the chances of 1) it being open when someone walks by and 2) them noticing it are incredibly small.  The edges are usually "busy" and it will be tough to see.  I hope.

I had thought about making 5/32 x 4 "pucks" of the oak to patch them, but I think that would have been too much work for an area nobody will see.

2 minutes ago, Mike. said:

This is the reason I stopped using biscuits for alignment.  I seemed no matter how hard I tried i would end up with a visible biscuit.   At least yours won't be visible when the table is closed.   Good recovery. 

Yeah there's also one between the leaves ... I ended up splitting it right on a joint.  

Oh well.  It used to be veneer with an exposed edge so technically this is still a huge step up. :)

I'll take a pic tonight and post it so it's at least "documented" in the build.

• 2 weeks later...