Bussy Family Table

Lee Bussy

1 hour ago, drzaius said:

I have an old dresser (probably 75 years old) that I used as a child, that is not fine furniture, but is very well made and has great sentimental value. Your project has inspired me to do something with it. Thanks for posting this.

I'm so glad!  Go for it and of course, make a Journal.

I love working with the table at which I had all of my significant meals while growing up.

I've been watching this journal all along and can't wait to see the final product.  But with this being a family memory and the fact that you mom thought so much of the table that it was a major concern to her during the flood, and after looking at the color and grain in the last few photos I can not help but think the your mother (where ever she may be) has to be pretty proud of the job her "rebellious" son is doing in bringing the table back to life.

6 hours ago, bgreenb said:

Have you done test boards with the gel stain?  I actually think it looks great as is - couple coats of ARS and it's good :)

I was just going to say the same thing. My initial thoughts are gel stain will cover the rays which you don't want. I've done dye/seal/pigment stain before where the pigment darkens the pores but wipes off the rays.

It is looking great and I love white oak. Can't wait to see it completed. 

If it's beautiful it's a credit to the sawyers that made the boards, and to mother nature who created the wood.  All I did was flatten it out and put some color on it.  It's very satisfying though, to just let the wood talk.  The original top didn;t even have a rounded over edge - they were square.  I had to do *something* to the edge so a simple round-over was chosen.

This project has given me a profound appreciation of white oak though.  Previously I lumped it in with it's poor cousin.  What a mistake that was!

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Lee Bussy said:

Work and life got in the way for a bit.  This afternoon I got the first coat of Arm-R-Seal on the base and the top of the table.  I continue to be happy with the results:

IMG_4865.JPG

Here's a pic of the sample chip I was trying to match, Stickley's Onandaga:

Capture.JPG.f69d69af3a25f321e7ddf8ff7bef

And here is one of Stickley's sample chips on the table:

IMG_4869.JPG

I don't want to sound too proud, but I'm thinking I nailed it.

I'm positive you nailed it! Looks awesome!