Impact driver or drill

Jon Warta

I am in the market for a drill or impact driver. I would like to start selling my work and I have been using my dad's drills for the past 2 years I have been woodworking so I would like to get my own now. I am looking at the either the 12V Bosch drill or the matching impact, my budget is about $150 so I could only get one now and get the other One later. Here is what I want to know: is an impact driver even necessary or should I just get the drill. Even further, is getting a Bosch even necessary, or should I just get two black and deckers, one for screws and one for drilling. If there is a better brand out there in my budget I would be happy to know, thanks.

-Jon

If this is stricktly for shop work, furniture etc I would definitely get a drill. I have quite a few drills and impacts and ive never used my impact on a piece of furniture or a cabinet. If you have the money, I would invest in the bosch, they make some nice stuff.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I would also get an 18V kit like Eric posted with the slim batteries. Makita is good and this is the Bosch kit I have (and 15% off today).

http://www.cpotools.com/bosch-clpk234-181-18v-cordless-lithium-ion-1-2-in--drill-driver-and-impact-driver-combo-kit/bshnclpk234-181,default,pd.html?start=1&q=Bosch%20CLPK234-181

I've had that white Makita set since they first came out with it, and gave a set to my Son.  I think that was six or seven years ago, and both of us are still on the original batteries.  I'm sure I drove over a hundred pounds of screws with it before I bought the larger batteried LXT pair, and the LXT's have been used almost daily for two or three years, while the lightweights are assigned to the truck toolbox.

I like them just fine, and if anyone uses an impact driver more than we do, I'll tip my hat to them.

I have the ridgid set, i dont like them compared to many others but i do love having an impact around even if i dont use it often. 

I always grab the impact when driving big stuff and if i am using Philips head screws. In the shop i am almost always using square drive but it still comes in handy alot.

I was actually looking at getting a set of the normal bosch's and the 12v's to replace the agent orange guys

I have two matching drills, which is very convenient for tasks like pocket holes, or drill and countersink.  I also have an impact gun, but its only used for construction (things like deck building, general home repairs, stud framing, etc).  If you can only have one, go 18V Lithium ion drill.

I have an M18 set of Milwaukee tools, drill, sawzall, and impact.  I borrowed my buddies M12 to do my cabinet as the full size drill didn't fit between my smaller drawers.  They also fit into your budget: 

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2494-22-Cordless-Combo-Battery/dp/B0043WF6Q4/ref=sr_1_24?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1455578518&sr=1-24&keywords=MILWAUKEE+M12

I'd like to add the 12v set but I can't justify it right now.  For light/ medium duty I think they would work great. 

I have an M18 Fuel set that I've been very happy with as well as a bunch of M12 stuff. I'm surprised how many people don't use impact drivers. Granted the 18v is a bit big for cabinets etc. the M12 is great for it I think.  I use it all the time when pocket screwing cabinet carcasses, installing hinges, etc. etc. Less cam out of phillips and more efficient driving of everything.  Whatever you get, remember you're buying into a system. so look at other tools they have that you can add on.  When I was buying in, aside from being very happy with my other Milwaukee tools, they seemed to have a larger selection of tools I could add on.  I'm sure the other manufs. have expanded by now, but I've never really looked as I'm pretty deeply invested in the M18 and M12 stuff now. 

I guess what I'm saying is, it's better to have a few batteries that run a bunch of tools, than a bunch of batteries and tools from different manufacturers.  If you only get one, I agree a drill is the best bet. 

• Like 1

I've got more drills than I know what to do with. The Milwaukee M18 fuel is by far the most powerful, but that comes at a price in weight. I also have the Makita which is lighter and packs a good punch. One thing that might be a good option is the Rigid. I know it's not as "nice" as the other brands, but you get lifetime warranty on the batteries, as long as your register the tool to get the lifetime service agreement within 90 days of buying the tool. 

Screen_Shot_2016_02_16_at_8_10_32_AM.png

42 minutes ago, Jon Warta said:

Does anybody have any experience with the ryobi one+ system? Is it any good? There are a lot tools in that line up and they are pretty economical, of course with cheaper price generally comes lesser quality but it doesn't look that bad.

-Jon

I needed a pole chainsaw for some small stuff around the house etc. didn't want to invest in a real good one because I knew the limited use it would get so I grabbed the Ryobi 18V +1. It's always done exactly what I expect of it. It would never last with a tree crew, but fine for what I needed it for.  (Besides.... Real work out comes the Husky! B))..... Annnnnyway since I then had a battery I grabbed a light and a couple of other tools just to have for job sites etc.  You can usually find a pair of their bigger batteries on sale now and then. 2 cost considerably less than a 4 A/hr Milwaukee 18v!! 

But generally I have found all of their tools to be mediocre at best.  Now, if you're using them for light duty stuff, aka "homeowner" type stuff then I'm sure it would be absolutely fine.   I've used their 18v drill a little bit. It's fine.  I think they fit the market they are targeted at perfectly. For not a lot of money you can have a nice set of 18V tools. I just wouldn't expect them to hold up long doing trade work.   

I do have the 18v weed whacker.... It's cute and works great for my little yard! 

On February 16, 2016 at 11:38 AM, Jon Warta said:

Does anybody have any experience with the ryobi one+ system? Is it any good? There are a lot tools in that line up and they are pretty economical, of course with cheaper price generally comes lesser quality but it doesn't look that bad.

-Jon

A couple of guys at my shop have them. I've picked them (drill/driver) up a few times when my gear wasn't in reach. They do the job. I like that the drill has a magnet on the base to hold screws and such, pretty handy really. They seem to hold up well too. Good selection of accessories with that line up also. Unfortunately the lime green screams cheap, so there's not much of a resale value. I also find the drills I've used with the post style batteries (not sure if they've upgraded to the M18/newer Dewalt style batteries) to be heavy and unwieldy.  If you're on a budget or don't want to spend  a lot on a drill set Ryobi will get the job done. 

• 2 weeks later...

I almost exclusively use my impact driver. I only use the drill for when I don't have an impact bit for what I'm trying to do. So.. some twist bits of varying sizes, forstner, countersink bits. Part of it is I just really like the ease of bit change. But also you learn to control the impact driver after a while so you don't end up blowing something up. Plus.. it's not likely you are using drill or impact driver on a great many woodworking projects so it's unlikely to ruin your great masterpiece.