Lawns

Tom Cancelleri

On 4/23/2016 at 3:14 PM, Eric. said:

Two step process:

This year, kill the weeds.  The spray varieties work better in my experience than the granular.  Spray once or twice a month all year.

Next year, aerate and overseed, or slitseed.  Then fertilize ONLY for the first half of the year, then go to back to weed/feed.

100% this...   If you want to accelerate, aggressively weed (manually, spray, whatever) all spring/summer and then in the fall aerate and seed.

I bought 2 of the cheapo backpack sprayers from Harbor Freight...one for weed-b-gone and one for round up...it's actually relaxing (to me) walking around laying waste to the little bastards.

Cheaper and nicer to the environment than Round-Up.

A gallon of vinegar, a few table spoons of liquid dish soap, half a cup of salt. 

Let the salt dissolve for a couple of hours (does not have to be complete) and spray.  Non selective herbicide, kills everything.  You have to apply it more often, but it is wayyyy cheaper and you are not giving your money to Monsanto.

• Like 2

I gave up trying to force grass to grow where it didn't want to a couple of years ago. Handling all those chemicals and concoctions.:( To me it's like trying to force wood to do something it doesn't want to. It's a losing never ending battle. I spend the time and money wasted on killing weeds in my shop. 

On April 25, 2016 at 10:36 AM, drzaius said:

I have an autistic 13 year old grandson that loves to mow the lawn. It's hilarious to watch. There is absolutely no pattern or order to the way he does it, but at the end there is not 1 blade of grass sticking up above the others.

Wow my autistic son won't even go outside. I'm jealous

I picked up some stuff yesterday from a local hippie guy that sells plants from his nursery that he just closed down since he's moving. He's liquidating stuff at really cheap prices. I picked up a really nice 4' Shantung Maple (Acer truncatum) for $20, 4 8" pots of different types of ground cover to put in my raised wall bed to fill around the tree, 1 ponytail palm for my office, a large full sun henna coleus, and some licorice mint.   

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/28/2016 at 5:53 PM, wtnhighlander said:

V,I bet is real relaxing. You did spray the grass with weed-b-gone, not roundup, didn't you?

Didn't you!?!?!

?

Ha!  I very clearly marked them when I first put them together to avoid that...   That actually happened at the country club we were members at when I was a kid.   The guy ended up nuking a whole green one of the Par 3s.

1 hour ago, Vyrolan said:

Ha!  I very clearly marked them when I first put them together to avoid that...   That actually happened at the country club we were members at when I was a kid.   The guy ended up nuking a whole green one of the Par 3s.

Reminds me of my FIL. Once he spot sprayed the weeds with Roundup & the lawn was green with all these brown polka dots.

Another summer he fertilized the lawn & a week later it was completely dead & brown excepts for a few narrow strips that he missed with the fertilizer spreader.

Had an uncle who had desert landscape (we live in Arizona) and got tired of fighting weeds. Got some "stuff" from a friend who lays concrete. Didn't read the dilution instructions on it and sprayed his yard with it straight. Killed every living thing in his yard and the neighbors on both sides for 15 years. Neighbors weren't very happy about it but the weeds were definitely gone.

• Like 1