Morons on eBay.

Llama

4 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Says the man that outbid a fellow forum member on a Woodpeckers one time tool !

haha, I didn't really do that... But if I did, I didn't bid the thing up hours or days before the auction ended.

2 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Minutes before the end is the most disheartening !

I don't mind losing those. It just lets me know I didn't bid high enough. But for some reason people feel the need to increase the cost of things days before the auction ends.

Does nothing to you Bob as long as you are the current high bidder.  The problem is that when someone else also drops a "max bid" then the system is automatically running it up until the one with the highest max bid is the only one left.  

On a popular item, people end up paying way more than an item is worth..  He with the highest max bid wins and the seller gets more than they should nearly every time.

24 minutes ago, BobInAustin said:

I am one of those morons I guess.  I'll drop my max bid on when I see the item.  How does an early bid make you pay more exactly?

Mel hasn't let loose with a good rant lately. He just needed to vent!

Does sound better, thanks!

Morons are the ones that bid $1 until they have the max bid. Then they walk away.

I have no issues with people that bid $200 on something that should sell for around $250 and walk away hoping they win.

But, people that keep bidding on stuff thinking they are going to snag something that sells for $250 with their $100 bid need to go away.

I have no issues over bidding on an item, if I want something I'm going to get it. Especially items that are relatively rare. Stuff that comes up every day, and you see 50 bids within the first hour on a 5 day auction.. well, that's just stupid.

17 minutes ago, Cliff said:

Well, this is literally how auctions are supposed to work.

That would be how a silent auction works.

If you aren't there until the end, you lose. Go to a physical auction and bid $50, and walk out of the room. You will lose every time.

Instead, you have made my point. I agree, people shouldn't bid on the item until there is 60 minutes left.

Well, this is literally how auctions are supposed to work. It's ridiculous that every ebay auction comes down to who can be the last/highest sniper. I almost never use ebay because if you can't be online ready to put in a bid when the auction ends then you can't win unless you make a bid so high that nobody in their right mind can top it. Really at this point I don't understand how come all the auctions aren't 60 minutes long.

I don't buy on ebay much anymore because Amazon is so much easier and more reliable. Plus, auction style listings, especially for new items, are becoming less and less common...and frankly I just don't buy much used stuff...I'm not a collector of anything, I'm a consumer. But on the rare occasion that I do place a bid on an auction, I always use a sniping service. Costs next to nothing, you don't have to get to the computer before the auction ends, and you can be sure you're getting the best price possible. I have plenty of problems with ebay both as a buyer and a seller, but bidding isn't one of them.

I can't usually be bothered with e-bay auctions, I'll submit my max-bid sometime on the final day, and it will be the price that I would happily pay for a "buy-it-now" listing. If I win, then I'll figure I got a good deal, if I lose then I figure the winner over-paid. But If I can find the same item with a "buy-it-now" price that I'm happy with, then I'll buy that one every time.

I absolutely refuse to sell on eBay anymore. I've been screwed twice by buyers, and no protection from eBay.

15 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

I agree it is irritating but id rather see what the morons are willing to pay early rather than have something snagged at the last second. 

I have no problem with that. Put your max bid in, and walk away. The irritating part is the people that stay on there raising the bids by $1 at a time just to have the high bid. This artificially raises the price of the object. 

1 hour ago, Eric. said:

and frankly I just don't buy much used stuff...I'm not a collector of anything, I'm a consumer.

For the most part, I don't buy used stuff.. However, some things are simply no longer made. I am not a collector, but I do buy things you can't find new anymore. 

Maybe I'm just nostalgic for the old days when sniping wasn't really a thing on ebay. I just bid and ignored it then got a notice to pay. It was nice.

I literally think all auctions should be like 1-5 hours long. 3-7 days is annoying. I don't know that I can justify this with a business excuse.

I've won every auction I've ever been there for at the end, and I know that others were using a sniping service. I think it's overrated, UNLESS you can't be there. I know it sounds dumb, but if an auction ends after 8:30 pm I'm going to miss it because I'll be in bed.

I'm just saying, why can't we have a polite auction system where every bids what their max is then leaves it alone? :D

I can't remember eBay not having snipers. I've been on there since January, 2003.

I remember guys putting in bids for an item that would sell for $700. They'd bid $50, then from another account bid $1200. At the last minute cancel the $1200 bid, then they won the thing for $50.

Happened all the time.

My point is simple, you know you're not going to win a $300 thing for $50, so don't bother bidding $50. Put the max bid you're willing to pay then walk away. If you really want the item, hang around and see if you can win for a few more dollars.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Llama said:

I can't remember eBay not having snipers. I've been on there since January, 2003.

Yeah same here, I've been using a sniping service for as long as I've been using ebay.  I don't understand why it bothers people...it's just a tool, use it.  Otherwise you're gonna end up paying more for almost every auction you win, and you're gonna win fewer auctions.

• Like 1