How would you do this?

Chestnut

Went to the wood guy and found some fun wood for CHEAP!!!! I paid $25 for 2 matched qtr sawn ash slabs for a bar top for a friend and for $15 extra i got 2 matched Russian Olive slabs. The Russian olive is 3.5" x 9" x 108". Dang near 60+ BF of wood for $40

The problem 3.5" thick is too thick for well any circular bladed saw i have available. I don't know if that's too thick for a jigsaw my guess is yes. So that leaves me with the band saw. I'll cut the length in half if i need to beings that I'm just going to use these for picture frames more than likely. Any one have advice how to manage this on a band saw?

If this helps I'd really like an excuse to buy some out and in feed roller supports.

13312653_10101003466167889_6254791329017

Are you talking about cutting the Length in half or halving it long ways?  For the 10" or so cut to half it, id just be grabbing my hard point $20 hand saw and letting it rip. That's my designated rough break down saw and it works fast.

If your stuck on power,  you can buy different length blades for a jigsaw. Buy a longer blade, Go slow and don't push too hard and it should do it. 

Length cut I wouldn't hesitate to do on the bs. That would actually be my first choice.  I've had burning and pinching issues cutting down long boards with a circular saw. 

I have used a straightedge and circular saw to rip a straight line in a thick slab the polished off the cut with a saber saw sticking to the outside of the cut. Then you just need to clean up the edge on the jointer or with a plane. Getting a moisture meter is strongly recommended ! If the interior of your crosscut is wetter than the face don't bother trying to rip the board. Seal the ends and wait or find a kiln. 

• Like 1