Krenov Style Display Stand Build

1 hour ago, Eric. said:

Nice job Hugh!  Looks great.

FYI, that's not spalted maple, it's ambrosia. :)

Ok, if you guys are going to be like that I'm never posting on here again.

Just kidding, of course.  I appreciate the correction - I'm going to have to search and figure out what the difference between the two is (edit: alas because I was trying to be funny, I wanted to have this be two posts - one that said I'd never post again and then another 10 seconds later where I posted again, but they were automatically merged)

As for finish, I just went with Shellac.  2 coats brushed and then about 3 rubbed on and then finally rubbed out with 0000. 

They're similar in that they're both caused by fungus, but quite different in appearance.  Ambrosia is introduced by a beetle, while spalting occurs naturally in the beginning stages of decay.

http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/ambrosia-maple/

http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/spalted-maple/

• Like 1

Nice work, Hugh. And thanks to Eric for the links to ambrosia and spalted maple. Most of the ambrosia I've worked with is more colorful than what I've found is spalted maple. Spalted tends to have very distinct, very black thin lines running through it randomly. Ambrosia tends to have broader and more colorful patterns.

Very nice. I really like the look of ambrosia maple. Not sure if it's true, but I've been told that spalting weakens the wood, while the staining from the ambrosia beetles's poop does not.  Also, that not that long ago mills in western NC couldn't give the stuff away.  I am happy that the yard up here in Northern Virginia carries ambrosia maple. Costs more up here, however.  

• Like 1